1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable comb question.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

My sister has recently taken up trapshooting and it seems to me I have a gun to spare for her to use. Only problem is that is has a right handed soft top comb on it. She tried to shoot it but it only whacked her in the cheek something nasty. I have made a comb that should work well for her but now I need to install the hardware or send it off to have the hardware installed. The gun is a Beretta 390 sporting model and Tom Larkin did the adjustable comb on it. If anyone has a suggestion as where to get the hardware and how to install it. That would be a great little project. Otherwise I may send it off to Tom.
    Thanks for your suggestions

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You need to address the cause and not the sysmtom. The gun more than likely needs more pitch and you can test this by shimming between the pad and butt on the heal (top) side of the pad. I would bring it out at least 5/16" and see if the slap goes away or gets better or worse. If it does get better, just recut the pitch into the stock or get a beveled spacer ground for the pad.

As far as the soft comb being for a righty, you would simply need to remove the skin, reinlet the wood for the padding and drill new holes on the left side of the comb for a lefty, then reskin it to cover the right hand holes. Not a big deal.

Jb

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Tron / Jack is right. Your sister's "cheek slap", is probably caused by the wrong pitch (angle formed by the comb and the rib). The pitch is correct for your sister when, as she is mounting the gun, the whole pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with her shoulder.

The bottom "toe" of the recoil pad is probably making contact with her shoulder well befoer the top of the pad.

The only other possible cause is that she is raising her cheek off the comb. Once she suffers cheek slap, it is a natural thing to do but it just increases the problem.

As Tron suggested, correct the pitch using shims of some sort. (Washers on the top recoil pad attachment screw between the pad and the stock work well as a temporary fix.) When she can mount the gun and the recoil pad makes even simultaneous contact with her shoulder you have found the correct pitch. It can be corrected permantly by cutting the stock at the right angle (it may easily be too long for your sister) or by installing tapered spacers with the wide part at the top.

Contact me if you do not know how to judge correct stock length for your sister.

Rollin

4. Tron

Hey! Who you calling Jack?

Joe B

5. Rich101

Rich101 TS Member

Wow. I didn't know the pitch of the butt pad really made much difference. I guess you learn something new everyday.

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Tron,

Sorry Joe; that's what I get for relying on my memory for names.

Rollin

7. arend003

arend003 Member

to really understand stock fit I would recommend getting Rollin's book, it helped me alot in understand gun fit when I started out.
    Tom

8. Tron

Rollin's book is fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.