1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adjustable comb problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by newbuster1, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbuster1

newbuster1 TS Member

I recently bought a used Browning XT trap with adjustable comb. I have adjusted the height of the comb and it creeps downward during the course of a single round of trap. I have tightened the allen screw in the stock as much as I can by hand, and it will not stay in place.
    Any suggestions on how to keep it in place?

2. cls

cls Member

Shims/bushings the proper thickness on the posts to keep the comb the right height. cls

3. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

The shims will be at your local hardware store. They resemble plastic fender washers, about 1/2" ID and 1" OD, in varying thickness. Measure the space you want to fill, and if it's say 1/4" then remove the comb, drop 1/4" of washers on each post, then replace the comb & it'll never fall again. Phil E

4. newbuster1

newbuster1 TS Member

Thanks for the advice. Is this normal, or do I have a problem with the gun?

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Browning's hardware is known to creep. A lopt of people use the nylon washers as spacers to keep the height as stated above.

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

<a href="http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z16/dmarbell/391%20MM%20Rib/?action=view&current=106_2232.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Nylon washers work very well. Steel washers will work. Copper tubing cut to the desired length kinda works.

Pat Ireland

8. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I have replacement hardware for the both Brownings and Berettas in stock. The factory stuff in both is junk. I have also done a lot of them using solid walnut fillers and my own std. hardware. Either way, the problems are eliminated.

Ken Rucker

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0039.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> I found mine under nylon bushings at hardware store. I also found some to replace the posts to get more hieght.

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

John, yours is the OLD STYLE Browning hardware....far better than the stuff this post addresses........the poor hardware is the new stuff (last 4 years or so) that adjusts with one screw thru the butt of the gun. Absolute junk ....John Browning is rolling over in his grave!!!!

Ken Rucker

11. newbuster1

newbuster1 TS Member

Great responses - After a disappointing round of 100 today, I am off to the hardware store. Thanks for the tips and photos. Sorry to hear this about Browning workmanship. Mine is a used 2005 XT. any other comments on this gun would be appreciated. I'm still trying to adjust it to me.

TNT

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ken the hieght of the comb is adjustable also through the pad? I thought that was for cast? Well even the old style was not so great. post to short, did not hold well.

13. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the way it works, John. The single screw thru the butt controls both directions of adjustment....when you loosen the screw, the comb is free to go up, down right and left. It's a pain in the rear to get it where you want it, and it really doesn't matter 'cause it ain't gonna stay there anyway. It is absolute junk.

Ken

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ken, sounds to complicated. I like the looks of your simple hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.