1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable-comb or bend the stock ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have some Browning Citori trap guns with Monte Carlo stocks.

Believe them to be cast neutral -- favoring neither a righty nor a lefty.

I am left-handed and would like to make them fit me better.

Would it be better to have an aftermarket adjustable-comb installed ?

Or have a professional bend the stock to fit me ?

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Go with an aftermarket adjustable-comb... gives you the best of all worlds. Regards, Ed

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you are ever going to sell the guns then the adjustable comb. Bending the stock limits who you might sell it to.

Good Luck

Don

4. autogun

autogun Member

Adjustable comb. I have had 2 bent. 1 stayed bent about 2 weeks, the other about a year. Both returned to original dimensions but they were bent up not left or right and that may make a difference. Merry Christmas!!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Adjustable comb. It is not too difficult to bend a stock but it is difficult to bend a stock the exact amount of cast that you want and keep the comb parallel with the bore.

Pat Ireland

6. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I am shooting the Browning Citoris OK -- some 25 Straight and lots of 24s.

But I take a lot of care making sure my head is in the right spot lined up with the barrel before I shoot.

Don't have to take nearly as much effort with my KX-5, Perazzi, 90-T, or BT-99 shotguns which have an adjustable-comb.

Have had the stocks on two side-by-side shotguns bent and they are easier to shoot too, especially noticeable in pheasant hunting.

Would just like the Browning Citoris to shoot as easily for me.

If you were to go with the adjustable-comb on the Citoris, would you trade for new guns with factory adjustable-combs or modify the existing ones ?

Buy new stocks and keep the original stocks if I decide to sell later ?

The current Citoris have Monte Carlo stocks, which I like.

Would you add a high-end recoil system at the same time ? If so, which one ?

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How do they bend a stock? Sounds like a complicated procedure.

Matt

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sounds like you may need a little off-set as well as toe out to fit your stature? That may be the ideal fix since a proper fit is tied directly with consistency. I had one made to my specks and I included a parallel adjustable comb too built by Phil Sims. An adjustable comb alone can't make an ill fitting stock fit you exactly as you need. The adjustable comb is but one step in the right direction for fit. JMHO

By the time you pay someone to do all that to your existing stock by bending and an adjustable comb, there's no guarantee it will fit you? Lotsa money wasted?

Matt, wood can be bent with heat and or hot oil around the stock in one area with applied pressure over time.

Hap

9. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I was told by at guy who bends stock that it might not stay bent over time. Just one thing you should check out. Tom

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Here's what to do: have an adjustable comb installed. Work with it until 100 straights are effortless. Continue working with it until 12's and 13's are common.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

You need to determine how much offset you need. You may need both or maybe both won't be enough and you waste time and money.

12. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I cannot attest as to whether bent stocks will stay bent.

Have only had two done. Both by Mike Orlen. Both of them have stayed bent so far. He is currently doing a third one for me on a side-by-side.

A larger sample than two would be needed to make a statement of certainty.

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Whether or not a stock will stay bent depends on the grain, figure and condition of the wood. Plain looking, straight grained, stocks will usually work better.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Consider bending the barrel?

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I am left handed. The first thing I would do is have the stock bent, cast left. Than I would have an adjustable comb made. Reason for this, If I just have the adjustable comb done, I have to set the comb to far to the left wheare the stock where it is cut hits me in the face. I would then have to sand that down. If you are just messing around and don't really plan to keep the gun, just have the adjustable done, other wise like Don mentioned above, bending the stock limits who you might sell it to.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable combstock for browning citori