1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable comb or adjustable butt pad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

A moveable butt pad is relatively inexpensive and easy to attach. An adjustable comb is more expensive and I'd probably need some assistance it getting it installed correctly.

It seems that both approaches accomplish almost the same thing in different ways. The comb can actually move up to meet the face. The pad can be slid down to effectively raise the comb.

I presently shot a BT99 that has a Morgan pad installed about a half inch below the actual stock. Is that actually comparable to replacing with stock with one that has a real adjustable comb?

If both approaches accomplish the same thing, would there be an advantage to doing both - a comb and a butt plate?

Just wondering....

Larry Frieders

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The adjustable comb actually does something to change the POI of your gun because it raises or lowers your rear sight which is your eye position. The adjustable recoil pad mainly is a comfort thing that does little to change the POI of the gun. The original rubber pad on the Morgan Pad was very hard rubber and today there are many pads that are softer and more of a pleasure to shoot.

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Actually, both "approaches" don't accomplish the same thing at all.

An adjustable comb allows you to change your point of impact by changing the position of the rear "sight" (your eye.)

An adjustable butt pad/plate allows you to get the butt pad into your shoulder pocket properly.

It may seem like you are raising the point of impact when you "drop" the pad down, but the geometry doesn't work that way.

The point of impact may change slightly when you drop the pad, but that is a result of your eye position moving slightly.

Get both put on your gun and you'll be better off. And have someone who does this work do it for you. Just go to any large shoot, drop your gun off in the afternoon and pick it up the next morning with both features taken care of.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You should do both if you want to do it right ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. high 2

high 2 Member

Sometimes changing the drop at heel can cause a slighty different point of impact because of how your face sits on the comb. When I fit someone that has a long neck or high cheek bones we will work on DAH(drop at heel) then DAC(drop at comb) then back to DAC then DAH. As the shooter changes to a more heads up shooting style the comb will contact the cheek differenty, sometimes giving a different sight picture. Larry

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

WPT has it right, Do both !!!!

7. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I would also recommend that you install both an adjustable comb and adjustable recoil pad. If you're comfortable using a bandsaw there's no reason you can't install an adjustable comb yourself. You just have to have the heuvos to do it -- it's really not a big deal. The well-known stock-work guys do have very reasonable rates for this type of work if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

An adjustable recoil pad is a pretty easy installation if you have the right tools (mainly a belt or disk sander, but I would also recommend a recoil pad jig). If you enjoy this type of work, there's no reason not to do it yourself. If it's a chore, just do yourself a favor and pay someone to install it.

--Dan

8. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I have installed both. I buy them from graco I think the adjustable butt (without pad) is $60.00 and the adjustable comb hardware is $40.00. The butt plate is fairly easy however the cut on the comb is kind of tricky.. you have to be really careful to get yhe stock level and straight on the saw and make sure of the depth of the cut. I did one for my brother-in-law and got the cut to close to the stock bolt. not pretty. also make sure the epoxy is the correct type and keep it away from the adjustment parts. I do agree do both!

9. DanLee

DanLee Member

I must have a super low cheekbone because all the modified guns my pals have shoot way high for me. It's like looking down the roadway from the top of one of the suspension towers on the Golden Gate Bridge. I stick with the good old Remington factory field stock; it works perfectly for me.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjustable butt pad
adjustable comb pads
adjustable recoil pad shotgun
comb pads
morgan adjustable recoil pad

morgan adjustable recoil pad review

morgan recoil pad
morgan trap pad