1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adjustable comb on my model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tburrey, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburrey

tburrey Member

I'm considering putting an adjustable comb on my Model 12 to raise my POI. I'm used to stacking my bids in a figure eight. Now I know I'll see rib between the center bead and the end bead and I'm wondering if I can adjust to this site picture. I've put some moleskin on it just for testing and it really centered the birds well but seeing that rid between the beads really feels odd. I'm wondering if I will ever get used to that. Appreciate your experience with this.

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

You could move your middle bead so that is will stack in a figure 8 with your front bead.

jmac

3. johnboy

johnboy Member

I can really get use to smoking (centering ) birds. I think an adj. comb on a target gun is essential if you need to adjust the POI and it sounds like you do. If you are seeing more rib than normal and smoking targets you have the correct comb height. Birds from the trap house are rising and a gun that shoots high is and advantage. I suggest you pattern the gun without the moleskin and with the moleskin and see the difference. Put that thing about stacking beads out of your mind, smoked birds are a much better sight!

4. high 2

high 2 Member

If you are blowing the targets up, don't worry about the beads. Eyes on the target. Larry

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

In my opinion, there are some guns that should never have an adjustable stock or choke tubes added to them, and one of them is the Model 12.

If your breaking targets with consistency using moleskin, let it be. You can always remove the middle bead without any permanent alterations made to your gun.

Suggestion, leave well enough alone.
    Steve Balistreri

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

As a Model 12 shooter I was at the same dilemma a few years ago.

I stopped shooting in the late 80s and picked it back up in mid 2000s.

In my case, gun didn't fit anymore. So, it was make it fit or get a different gun.

I'm a shooter not a collector, so I had an adj. comb fit and an add on rib as well.

That took care of all the ills. However, if you have a very nice 12 or a rare one, you might want to think twice about alteration... No choke tubes please.

Regards....Gerald

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

don't worry about the beads,,,

tony

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Try to find another stock to mess with or 1 that already has an adj. comb that way you won't screw up a good original stock. That said, it's a personal thing about how much rib you think should be showing. As per above DON'T consciously "see" the rib or beads, just get your gun shooting where YOU are looking, also make sure the stock is NOT sticking to your face & slapping--sticking to you as this will get you into a BAD habit of (unknowingly) lifting your head, use powder-vasoline-etc. so the gun "slides" & doesn't pull on your cheek. Also make sure you are putting your head-cheek on the stock exactly the same every time, mark with a piece of tape (or something) if necessary. GOOD LUCK Ross Puls

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I second the recommendation of finding another stock to play with, maybe one with the adjustable comb already on it to try it and see if thats what you want ... If the stock thats on it came with it it would be a good idea to keep it around, just in case ... There are a lot of Model 12 stocks around and you might find just what you want without cutting up the one you have ... It is your gun and you can do what you want with it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

All of my trap guns, including a Model 12, have adjustable combs. Most factory M12 combs are too high for me, so I have my stockmaker (Mark Deprez, Conesus, NY) bottom out the adjustable comb at about 1-1/2" where my face hits the stock. Then I have lots of leeway to raise the comb to where it feels right without my having to grind my face into it.

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If you have a pre 64 Model 12, don't screw it up with a
    adjustable comb. You will reduce it's value.

12. tburrey

tburrey Member

Tom, I'm located in central Florida

13. tburrey

tburrey Member

I appreciate everyone's help on this matter. My model 12 is a Y model which I have owned for almost 30 years and it already has a counter coil on it so I think I'm going to go ahead and put the adjustable comb on it. I didn't buy it for an investment but rather a shooter. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.