1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable comb hardware;brass or stainless?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Citori Shooter, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I am looking at having an adjustable comb put on over winter;I see that Hissem uses brass and Rod's uses stainless hardware is there any advantage with one(brass vs. stainless) than the other?The posts won't be seen since I will be using comb spacers.Thank you.

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Brass is okay for the bases or bushings, but the posts should be either hardened tool steel or stainless. The brass ones are too soft and get chewed up pretty fast by the set screws, making it hard to adjust height if you need to. I've replaced lots of other smiths brass posts that were damaged beyond use.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Either way, your posts can't be harder than the set screws, otherwise they won't bite and the comb will slip. Josh

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not trying to be difficult, Ruck, but I like the softer pins. If the pins are too hard, it's been my experience that, they loosen too easily and cause users over tighten the allen screws, stripping the threads in the wood.

Maybe you could suggest a material in between the two but I don't change my stock enough to "chew" them up. Perhaps just soft steel. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. Barry.

5. S Martin

S Martin TS Member

I have Hissem's brass hardware on my K-80 and it's works just great. The set screws seat very well and I don't have a problem with the screws working loose. I haven't had a problem with the posts getting messed up. Plus, Hissem does beautiful work and returns the gun quickly. It's best to call Greg first and let him know your sending your gun. He'll reserve a spot in his schedule for your gun. Good luck. Steve

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tron does a nice job too. Check out the "Atta boy" for Tron thread. Has pics

7. Rods Custom Stocks

Rods Custom Stocks Member

Hello,
    All of the guys doing stock work professionally use good hardware! My advice would be to pick the one closest to you and that way if you have any problems you can jump in your car and drive right to them. I support this site by advertising on it and if I can help you just give me a call at 419-347-6403

..........Rod

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think both are good and have advantages- brass is not too soft

I have used Rod and agree with what he says- Rod does a great job- find someone that does a great job and that you can communicate with- and let them explain what they use and why

I would avoid aluminum but that is a personal thing

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If it were me I would choose Stainless steel over the two, I have had the brass ones come up out of the stock, aluminum ones that were factory strip out and had to install helicoils to repair the threads, another thing is how thick the walls are where the adjusting set screws are at.

Rod does a professional job, some others do also, Rod has been doing this for a long time, I believe he installs adjustable combs for a mfgr.

That says something for him.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

And use some plastic washers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.