1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable comb for Savage 93R17

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My son Sean in Oregon couldn't get a decent check weld with his Savage 93R17 with synthetic stock. The design of the stock is wrong for optics. It was made for iron sights.

While searching for stick on combs, I found Karsten makes an adjustable comb, in three styles.

http://www.imageseek.com/karsten/gallery/forsale

I ordered the Model A for Sean's birthday.

Installed it today, in less than 15 minutes. He field tested it this afternoon and it solves all the issues with lousy cheek weld. When the gun is shouldered his eye is dead on with the axis of the scope.

The comb is well designed, well made, rugged, and dirt simple.

Here's an online installation article. Pretty simple.

http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Off Topic Thread.

3. Brian in Oregon

This is shooting related. Please delete your asinine statement.

4. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

My gosh if everything here was trap related there would be nothing to talk about.

I like that comb. I've got the same gun in .22 mag and I have the same problem with the scope on. I've just made do. Gotta get one.

Steve

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Look at the time he posted. Do you suppose his response is alcohol related? You can pretty much tell the closet alcoholics by their responses and the time of day they are on the computer.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Brian, thanks for posting that tip. They offer the same rifle with peep sights. I was looking at one pretty seriously except hat stock does not work too well for peep sights either. Boyd makes a stock for $92.00 called Tacticool, but the cheek piece you added looks like it may work even better, being adjustable and all.

Since you have drilled yours, is that stock hollow? I would also have to add some butt pad spacers for my use.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Off Topic Thread."

Off Topic Reply. ;-)

8. Brian in Oregon

Leo, yes, the stock is hollow. Fortunately it is heavy walled, so it did not collapse or pinch in when the knobs were tightened.

If I were buying a new Savage 17 HMR, I'd spend the extra money and get their latest synthetic stock model that has a much better designed stock, plus a heavy fluted barrel and oversize bolt knob. It also has a third swivel attachment for a bipod, and the buttstock underside is indented for your hand for use with a bipod or sand bags. (See link and pic above.) MSRP is $476, but I've seen them from $390 to $440. That's a lot more than a bull barreled synthetic like Sean's, which runs about $190 to $225, but the stock and other features are darn well worth it.

Failing that, perhaps one of the laminated thumbhole stock models.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Barry, you're the one who's off-topic. This is shooting-related.

You need to STFU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cheek rise stock for savage 93

cheek riser for savage 93

cheek riser for savage 93r17

peep sight for 93r17

savage 93 stocks

savage 93r17 cheek weld

savage adjustable stock

savage rifle adjustable comb