1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable Comb and it's Impact

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Star4Ever, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Hi TAK:
    Those trap guns with adjustable combs are very tunable tools. As you are probably aware, the comb, when raised UP raises the rear sight of the shotgun (your eye). It actually then lowers your line of sight to BELOW the target thus giving you a raised Point of Impact.

Now, you need to run out and get some 1/16" rubber washers that fit your comb posts. Lowes or Home Depot have a drawer of rubber washers in the hardware section. Get about 16 of them.
    Use these to stop your comb from migrating down as spacers.

When your comb started to move down, it slowly raised your line of sight and thus lowered your point of impact. Had you been paying attention on your gun mount the space between your middle bead and front bead MAY have told you something was rotten....

Usually with a fixed rib gun, as you raise the comb you then start showing some rib between the front and middle beads.

hope this may help? And yes, I did have a comb move down on me during a shoot.... no more though...

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    "And yes, I did have a comb move down on me during a shoot.... no more though... "

Roger that! Kreighoff adjustable comb hardware used to and perhaps still does utilize jackscrews in the comb that were turned out (down) to bear against the plate on the stock to raise the comb. Set screws in the side of the comb locked the comb in place on the posts like most adjustable combs. One time while cleaning the gun, I noticed gaps between the jackscrews and the plate - they had vibrated upward! Fortunately, the lock screws held so the comb didn't more but I went to spacers and left the jackscrews turned all the way in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable stock comb home depot hardware