1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable Comb and Butte Plate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by W. Dan, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W. Dan

W. Dan TS Member

I recently had my BT-99 stock cut, a RAD recoil system with adjustable butte plate put on and an adjustable comb added. Before the modifications I was shooting in the low 90's at 16 yds and high 80's at the 20 yds. Now I'm shooting on average high teens at the 16 and mid teens at 20 yards.

I now have around 500 rounds shot with no improvement in scores. Adjustments have been to rotate the toe out slightly, moving the butte plate down (caused some major cheek slapping) and up about 1/4 inch above the comb. Adjustments to the comb have been from 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Scores are still all over the place. I'm about ready to get rid of the gun. I'm not sure what to do or how the adjustable comb and butte plate work together. What I'm after is a 70/30 pattern with minimal cheek slapping.

I know there are many savvy trap shooters on this board so I'm hoping I can get some advice on how to proceed. Thanks for taking the time to read this posting.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Pattern it on paper. See where you are shooting.
    Jimmy

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

get somebody very knowledgable about gun tuning to help you out...will save you time , ammo , and aggravation ..and maybe even your gun

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Is the LOP different than what it was before? How many shells are you shooting between adjustments?

Reset everything to like there isn't anything adjustable and take small steps from there. Only change one thing at a time. You'll know when you get to your "sweet spot", then loctite everything and throw the wrench away!

ss

5. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

What ClavinMD said.

And stretch out your expectation horizon. Think 1500-2000 targets. With the changes you made, its like learning to shoot a completely different gun.

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I had the same problem with my BT99. I installed a GraCoil LOP adjustable comb and still had the cheek slap. I them put in a 1/4" pitch spacer and the cheek slap was gone. Raised up my comb to shoot 80/20 and I was good to go.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You should be able to set the comb, the butt plate, and the LOP so the stock is back to it's original dimensions. Try that and see what happens. HMB

8. W. Dan

W. Dan TS Member

Thanks for the prompt responses and advise. I'll be at the trap club today and will prior to shooting restore the comb and RAD to the orginal settings and go from there.

Thanks again for the help!!

Dan

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

If you raised your comb 1/4", you have raised your POI much more than you may realize which is probably your problem. Pattern your gun at 13 yards. Adjust your comb so the center of your pattern is about 2" high at that distance. That should set the gun to shoot 6" high at 40 yards, which is 70/30.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The more things you put on your gun to adjust, the more you adjust your gun. The more you adjust your gun, the more confidence you lose. The more confidence you lose, the more concentration you lose. Before you know it you sell the gun and start all over again. I agree you have to shoot a gun for along time to be consistant. When you adjust it has to be a very small amount one adjustment at a time, depending on how your breaks are. Then shoot another 500 and see if your average changed for the better. It almost seems like you are better off shooting a gun long enough to figure out where it shoots, and allow yourself to adjust into the gun, then to adjust the gun where you think it should shoot. My point is if you shoot a gun long enough without adjustments, you will eventually shoot that gun well.

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

flyn, very well put. "W" I take it your gun was a good fit before you started making your modifications? Wasn't an ill fitting gun?

I had this long talk with myself to modify my BT, I didn't do it and won't. It won't get me that extra target or two when I need it. I feel this will be a set back for me to modify anything.

I'm no Harlin Campbell by a looooong shot, I have to work hard and concentrate hard when I shoot good. Good shooting does not come easy for me. My shooting issues are not the guns problem. My gun is capable of shooting 100 straight. I'm not.

Last Sunday I shot 96/100. I'll take that any day. (4) 24's straight. I was going to shoot more that day but didn't, my brain was mush and didn't think I was able to shoot another 24 let alone a 25. I just see it as an adjustment or mods would not have gotten me anything. Will be out tomorrow in the temps in the teens with wind and can only hope to do that good again.

12. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Pitch. I had the same problem with my Beretta 687 JE Trap combo. The give-away was that the muzzle jumped every shot with an occaisional good slap every 4 or 5 shots. No matter how I held it, how i adjusted the monte carlo, or how I leaned into the gun, i got beaten up and my scores were in the 70/80s.

I took the SG to Country Gentlemen when they were in town. Arron watched me shoot and recommended changing the pitch. He removed about 1/8 off the toe (tapered removal from heel to toe of course) to increase the pitch from about 3% to 6%. Another way to look at this is that I would lean the SG against the wall and the muzzle was about 2 inches off -- after the pitch change, it's now about 4.5 inches off the wall. Obvisously, barrel length affects the distance so I am speaking only about this one SG specifically. End result: success -- no muzzle jump, no cheek slap and scores in the low 90s.

There is a side story here about a different SG, a Guerini Summit trap -- I have several and shoot them better than my 687. One of the club guys bought one and wanted a Gracoil/kickeeze installed. He took it to a gunsmith, and for some reason they never discuss pitch and the effects of the different Kickeezes on pitch. After the installation, he has bigtime muzzle jump and is getting beaten up. We did a quick compare, and there is a big difference in pitch between our similar Guerinis. We took off our Gracoils and butte plates and it's obvious that his stock mods changed the pitch. Not sure if more toe or heel was removed on his, but the end result is that his is very different (less)than mine. He and gunsmith are working it out now with all sorts of rework and plastic adjusters.

So my advise is to go to a SHOTGUN gunsmith who is experienced with competitive SHOTGUN shooting who can diagnose the problem. Not all gunsmiths are the same. Good luck.

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

If you decide to sale it contact me!

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Spanky,

I shot my first 25 with an original 1972 BT-99 fixed full 34" bbl. It was the first SBT gun I ever bought. Now after I have gone through many Krieghoff's, Citori's, Kolar's, etc., and I still believe that was the best feeling, most comfortable, and had the best sight plane of any gun I have shot. I often think about all the time I wasted, shooting all of those other guns over the past 20 years. If I had stayed with that gun, I believe I would have turned many more 25's than I have thus far. I just think that is what us trapshooters do. We have to have the new toy (gun) to keep us satisfied.

15. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

Dan....I don't know where you are located but I live in Central Alabama and I went to Todd Nelsons'(the "Country Gentleman"--stockfitter)house located in Cherokee, Alabama. I have a Citori XT that I bought with Gracoil unit installed but the LOP was way too long. He shortened the stock about 1 1/8" and installed one of his Nelson pad-adjuster buttplates with a radiused kick eeze pad.. he then adjusted the adjustable comb and radiused the upper edge of the comb and stock where it fit my cheek perfectly, he finished the altered areas and finished between the stock and comb where Gracoil had left the stock unfinished. After all the work he adjusted the comb and buttplate where it fit me like a glove and the butt fit in my shoulder pocket like it was molded there. I had read all kinds of information about how to adjust a stock and after the stockfitting session I determined I knew NOTHING about how a shotgun stock should be fit and the TREMENDOUS BENEFIT of going to a qualified stockfitter to look at you mounting the gun, your physical characteristics and then fitting your gun to you and adjusting your mounting form and then pattern testing to adjust POI. This session was very informative and Todd did beautiful work on the gun....I was totally impressed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.