1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable comb and Adjustable Rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrjim22, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjim22

mrjim22 Member

I am getting back into shooting Doubles with a Perazzi MX-10RS. This has an adjustable comb and an adjustable rib. I am a co-dominant eye shooter. Watching with my left eye as the first bird passes under the barrel I send off the first shot. Then using my right eye I find the second clay. Here is the problem. I get my best breaks if that clay appears about 18 inches above my bead with proper lead as the comb and rib are set up now. This works fine in practice but I find during the stress of competition it is one more Voice in my head doing negative things just before I say PULL. What should I do to get the clay and bead on the same plan? Take the comb down and shot the first clay sooner? Adjust the Rib and re-think both birds??. I asked on another post if anyone adjucted their combs between Singles, Doubles and HAndicapp. I did this following a match I was at a watched two shooters doing just that.
    Any help would be appreciated.

jim

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

A number of shooters adjust the comb height when moving from the 16 to handicap distance. Averaged, for instance, has noted that he uses spacers cut to the correct length to have the comb at the right height (for him of course) at 16 yards, then adds once washer type spacer to that for handicap. This makes it easy to distinguish when the gun is set for one or the other, so it can be changed before changing distances. Others simply change their point of aim a bit to compensate for changing distances. As for me, I do not change my comb position, but I do adjust the rib, raising the POI slightly for caps. I just have to remember to change it back for 16 (and I have forgotten at times) There is, in my opinion, no right or wrong way, but find what works for you, which may not be what works for me. As always, it is not what others are doing (though it is always good to observe all the various techniques) but trying various methods to see what you like and works.

Jim R

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

mrjim22, you are shooting a very, very high POI. That presents problems with the second bird unless you are a very fast shooter. The second bird is typically taken at about the top of its arc. Since it isn't rising anymore, or is only slightly rising, that high POI becomes a handicap. You are probably shooting way over the second bird, because you didn't put the bead far enough under the bird. It takes a surprising amount lower to work.

I'm moved to a much lower POI, about 9" high @ 40 yards. I shoot singles, caps and first birds quickly. Bead on the bird and bang. I'm slowish picking up the second bird, and I have to see at least a bead's diameter or two of daylight under the bird to break it. Your setup will require much more.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You need to lower the point of impact for the second shot. You can do this by lowering the comb or raising the muzzle end of the rib. The higher you make the front sight, the lower the POI will be. HMB

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

As successful shooters are observed, it is apparent that everyone really needs an adjustable comb, adjustable rib, and an adjustable butt plate/recoil pad...not to mention adjustable triggers and interchangeable chokes and front beads, like HiViz sights. Don't forget interchangeable lenses for your shooting glasses to handle varying light and backgrounds. With these things you can find the "perfect" setting for any and all situations. For us mortals without these features we are stuck with just focusing on the target. Oh, I forgot to mention 7.5s or 8s and light or heavy loads... Break 'em all! Best regards, Ed

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Just how did this world of shooters survive before all the adjustments???

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot...what about 7/8 vs. 1 oz. vs. 1 1/8....decisions, decisions. Just when you have it figured out, something else comes along. Best regards, Ed

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

How did they survive? they took a rasp to the comb or added moleskin. Even in the old days the gun had to shoot where your looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

set up adjustable rib and comb