1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable Charge Bar for P/W?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I am asking to see if anyone knows of an adjustable charge bar for a P/W loader. The existing P/W system using bushings works well enough but prior experience with adjustable shot and powder bars on other loader brands leads me to believe that if set up correctly they are much more accurate and easier to dial in an exact load of shot and/or powder. Is such a thing available from any source that you know of?.
    Thanks,
    Doug

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The bushings in a P-W are contained in round gears and they move in an arc. I doubt there is a way to make an adjustable system without redesigning the distribution assembly. I have never heard of anybody that has even tried to engineer an adjustable system for a P-W.

I had an adjustable bar on a MEC for a while and found it to be too fiddly. There was enough play in the adjustment that the manufacturer had to supply instructions describing which way to sneak up on the settings. Changing a bushing in a newer P-W is a 15 second job and since Hornady bushings will fit a P-W and come in a huge array of sizes, it's easy to get a bushing that does what you want.

Whether a bushing or an adjustable bar, both are simply holes that gravity-fill with either shot or powder and a hole can only be so accurate given all the things that can affect the machine, the shot and the powder while the machine is in operation.

MK

3. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

The standard bushing system is the only thing that suits the pw for now but I think I'll try a standard LAP BAND and see if it can be installed through the tension screw.OK WHIIZZER.........THERE'S YOUR WINTER PROJECT!!!! Boy I bet I catch hell for this idea............LOL............MERRY CHRISTMAS......Tony

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I do not understand the interest in adjustable charge bars. Bushings are consistent. Adjustable bars invite tweaking. The weight of your powder drop from a bushing may vary slightly from day to day but that does not mean that you need to tweak the volume to obtain the same exact weight. Do you think the shell manufacturers tweak the powder weight on a frequent basis?

Find a load that you like and stay with that bushing.

Jim Skeel

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'm with Jim Skeel on this one. Why woudl anyone awnt adjestable "charge bars" for a P/W? It is so easy to change bushing, why screw with anything else.

Unless you are trying about every recipe out there, bushing are the only way to go.

Whiz

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I made an adjustable bushing for my PW 4-5 years ago. It was not difficult to drill and tap a hole in the side of a bushing. I put a lock screw in the bottom of the bushing. Turning the screw in or out changed the powder drop. My bushing was adjustable but not very consistent. I still have my adjustable bushing somewhere in a drawer. I like it much better in a drawer than in my press.

I now adjust my bushings with rat tail files and finger nail polish.

Pat Ireland

7. Unknown1

I now adjust my P-W bushings with pieces of aluminum HVAC tape. Sticks like crazy, less permanent than a file and easier to remove/adjust than nail polish.

MK

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

A solution looking for a problem.

Don Verna

9. Unknown1

But if it wasn't for solutions in search of problems you wouldn't have corn flakes, potato chips, Post-It notes or microwave ovens.

MK

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- I will no longer use tape. After a lot of use, I found that once the powder worked its way behind the tape and the tape folded over a bit. I ended up with a lot of light charges. Tape is faster than finger nail polish but I no longer trust tape. Also, with the polish, I can do my nails as I reload.

Pat Ireland

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Not all PW machines have the quick change bushing adapter. If you don't have one, Whiz has 'em, and can get one in your hands in just a few days. In a matter of seconds you can change bushings to throw EXACTLY the charge you want, if you have enough bushings and are willing to keep records. It's certainly quicker and more exact than the adjustable charge bar you can get for a MEC.

12. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions. I will toss out my inventors hand book and stay with the tried and true method. The bushings are not much of an issue as I have lots of them but I thought that I would plumb the colletive wisdom of the Trapshooters group to see if there was a different way of doing it but it appears that leaving well alone is best.
    Doug

13. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

It's not so much needed wisdom, Doug; but you're dealing with a hole in a rotating gear, inside a closed system, run by a rack. Just not much you can do there, except change the size of the hole.

However, if you could fit an adjustable doohickey on the drop tube with reciprocating cutoff(s), and change the hight adjustment with a threaded tube.......but there's not much room, and the Rube Goldberg actuating hookup ought to be a hoot. Thoughts from an idle person on a snowy afternoon....mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.