1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable Butt Plate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Traders, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

I am thinking of buying an adjustable but plate for my Browning O/U. The kind that would allow me to rotate the plate either right or left. I am not trying to sift the whole plate, just rotate it so that the plate would more naturally fit in my shoulder pocket.

Will the rotation alter the POI.

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The Jones and the 100-straight are pad adjusters that are very similar. Both allow the butt to be raised, lowered, moved to the left or right and rotated.

Pad adjusters will not change a gun's POI unless they change the eye's position relative to the rib, which is necessary to change the POI.

As your eye's position is changed relative to the rib, the POI also changes, in the same direction.

It sounds like you might need a change in your stock's pitch. Pitch is the angle made by the butt and the bore axis or the rib, close to 90 degrees. One of the reasons shooters want to rotate their recoil pads is because the bottom of the pad sticks out too far.

The pitch can be changed by either cutting the stock to the right angle or by installing tapered spacers between the recoil pad and the stock. Cutting the stock to correct the angle shortens it slightly and a tapered spacer lengthens it slightly.

The pitch is correct for you when the whold pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder as you are mounting the gun using your normal shooting posture (usually, with the top of the recoil pad extending above the collarbone far enough to prevent it sliding down during reciol).

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable butt plate rotation left hand trapshooters