1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable butt plate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have noticed that SPS has a choice of three different styles of adjustable butt plates. It appears there is a Graco style, thru the pad style and Jones style. Does anyone have experience with either one and have found one works better than the other? I have decided to go with just an adj plate instead of a recoil system. I am not recoil sensitive so why go a spend the money on a recoil device.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bryan

2. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I like the one with only one adjustment screw. Easier to adjust and stays put just the same. I think that is the Jones.

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

The 100 straight style has the one access hole

Ed Yanchok

4. Calkidd

Ed from what I saw it appears 100 straight and Jones are one in the same company?

Bryan

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bruce Bowen owns 100 Straight but i don't think that Jones is his company.

6. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

I have a 100 Straight ... which appears to be very similar to the Jones: one adjusting screw. It does what it is supposed to do and with minimum fuss.

While it looks like the others might be better because they might have finer adjustments, I prefer fewer opportunities for failure. Each of those extra parts is an opportunity for something to break.

--
    Bob Easton

7. Calkidd

Bob are you talking about this one?

calkidd_2008_03034.jpg

8. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have had the 100 Straight on my guns for 8 years. No problems at all. One hole thru the pad. You need to apply the kiss rule. ( keep it simple stupid )

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I also use 100 Straight. It has hardened steel where needed, I also like the single point for adjustment, the plates are not excessively thick, and it has been problem free for me.

Let's face it, once set correctly, if you keep screwing with your adjustable pad on a frequent basis you are trying to get more dead targets the wrong way. With butt pads and adjustable combs, set them correctly then forget them. If you are having problems with breaking targets, look to your technique. Messing with stock adjustments frequently is the road to perdition in my view.

Cheers

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Those other than the single hole to adjust is a Royal PITA when a minor change IS necessary!

Hap

11. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Calkidd asked:
    "Bob are you talking about this one? "

Yes, that one. A fitter installed it on a BT-99. One of the nice things he did was to put screw inserts into the stock under the two base attachment screws, making it more secure than attaching with simple wood screws. Very pleased with the result. ... and No, we don't fiddle with it constantly. Set it once for a good fit, then blame all the misses on the shooter, not the butt plate.

--
    Bob Easton

12. Calkidd

Thanks for the information. I am assuming that the grip tape, shown in the picture, goes in between the two plates.

Bryan

13. Calkidd

Any other opinions?

Bryan

14. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I use the adjust thru the pad style and it works great! If you need to make an adjustment, you only have 1 screw to worry about.

Oscar

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I only use Jones ..even though they have 3 screws to adjust they have the thinnest setup at .25" which means I never need to cut wood to add one..I just install with .8 pad...also its a pure bolt on with all the necessary parts for my Browning Plus guns...

16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I have the 100 straight; it allows adjustment for drop, cast and cant. The others do not have all three.

Doc

17. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I bought 2 of the Jones plates today......I don't think I've ever talked to a more pleasant guy to take an order on the phone.

That says a lot in my book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
100 straight adjustable butt plate
adjustable butt palte

graco adjustable butt plate

sps adjustable butt plate