1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adjustable butt pad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BLS, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLS

BLS TS Member

I have a kick-eez adjustable butt pad on my gun. I purchased this gun from my father-in-law a few weeks when I started shooting trap. A couple of weeks ago I lowered it a little in order to obtain a more comfortable fit. Tonight I dropped it down as low as it will go to try to keep my head and neck as straight up as possible while keeping a comfortable feel when mounting the gun. The top inch and a half to two inches of the butt is now exposed.

my question is, will having the pad adjusted that low have any negative affects, ie. recoil, stress on the stock, etc. I am new to the sport so excuse my iggnorance. I'm just tweaking the gun to feel as comfortable as I can while shooting. I'll be shooting tommorow to see how i like it.

Thanks,

Barry

2. Tydaws

Tydaws Member

Nope. No problems with this. If it fits it hits.

3. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

So many shooters including myself have done exactly that. I've also turned my buttpad so that it lays comfortably on the chest muscle and shoulder pocket.
    Don't be afraid to experiment until it fits you.

Ned

4. BLS

BLS TS Member

Thanks for the info.

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Barry,

As the "drop at the heel" increases (with lowering the recoil pad), barrel rise during recoil also increases. With enough lowering, it may eventually cause cheek slap.

One way to reduce the need to lower the pad is to raise the gun mount. The butt should be about an inch above (and on) the collarbone.

Raising the elbow to make the upper arm parallel to the ground also raises the shoulder pocket and reduces the need for additional drop at the heel.

Rollin

6. BLS

BLS TS Member

Thank you for the insight. I will try this. Shot the gun yesterday after making the adjustment and it felt good and seemed to shoot where I looked when I mounted it properly. If it affects felt recoil I will make an adjustment. I am working on a comfortable consistent gun mount. When I have it I hit it and when I don't, I don't. I am going to the Louisiana State shoot this weekend for my first competive shoot. Maybe there will be a fitter there that can help. if not, maybe at the Texas State shoot. Again thanks for the reponses.

Barry

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Barry,

Mounting your empty gun 15 or 20 times each evening for a copule of weeks wearing the clothing worn when shooting will pay big dividends toward a consistent gun mount and higher scores.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable recoil pads trap guns

adjustable trap butpad

kick eez adjustable trap butt pad

shotgun adjustable recoil pad

trap shooting adjustable butt pads

trap shotgun adjustable recoil pad

trapgunpadsadjustable

trapshooters butt pads for shotguns