1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable butt pad fitting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JunkFarm, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JunkFarm

JunkFarm TS Member

Recently had an adjustable butt pad installed on my gun.
    I did some preliminary fitting today at home and seem to have my gun mount pretty repeatable now.

Is it uncommon to end up with the butt pad adjusted almost 45 degrees to the left? (right handed shooter)

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Quite common.

Maybe that is why they are called adjustable!

3. JunkFarm

JunkFarm TS Member

Actually I was pretty liberal with my estimation of 45 degrees.
    I just measured it with a protractor and it is at 70 degrees.
    Guess it just seemed more than that when I was fitting it earlier today.

Cheers!

4. RAScott

RAScott Member

I believe that the 70 degrees is equil to the 20 degrees due to the top of his protractor being 90 degrees. It sounds as if junk farm is the same as brownk80's.
    Good luck Bob

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Junk, generally it would measure in the 1/4 to 3/8 from centerline of your buttstock.....

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

If the pad has to be rotated more than about a half-inch, check the pitch on the stock. Often, the pad is rotated too much when the pitch is inadequate, i.e. the bottom toe of the pad sticks out too far.

Adjust the pad so it is vertical. Then slowly mount the gun. The pitch on the stock is correct when the entire pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder pocket with the heel of the pad on your collarbone.

Rollin

7. JunkFarm

JunkFarm TS Member

RAScott deciphered correctly...the heel of the pad is 20 degrees left of center.

Thanks for the advice and insight on checking pitch Rollin...I believe the bottom toe IS sticking out further than the heel...luckily I can adjust that with this pad as well.

Thanks again gents!

Bob

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- We seem to be getting confused with degrees, so lets try this description. It is not at all uncommon to have the butt pad rotated to around the 5 o'clock position. If it is rotated to the 4 o;clock position, something is probably wrong. It is quick and easy to take a pencil, kitchen knife or any thing that is thin and between 6 inches and a foot long, push it into your shoulder and see the natural angle that is best for your body.

Pat Ireland

9. BigM-Perazzi

I don't know your Honor, Pat said to take this kitchen knife cause it was thin, and push it into his shoulder. He just fell plumb over and bled out. See for yourself @ http://trapshooters.com/webtv/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=168667&Messages=9#1828074

;-)

JC

10. JunkFarm

JunkFarm TS Member

This should be easier....I would say 5:00 to 5:30'ish...from what I gather this is pretty common.
    Now I just need to verify the pitch and adjust as needed as per Rollin's post.

[​IMG]

11. BigM-Perazzi

OUCH!!... course, I'm left handed so that looks painful....

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

A kitchen knife can also be held with the flat side against your shoulder.

Pat Ireland

13. BigM-Perazzi

Geez Pat... of course it was tongue in cheek humor.....

14. JunkFarm

JunkFarm TS Member

Brownk80,

I got 70 degrees because of how I had the protractor positioned just as RAScott mentioned...90 degrees was pointed vertical towards the top of the stock and 0 degrees was horizontal perpendicular to the stock.
    BTW...this pad is installed on my fixed choke Remington 31-TC.

I went out and shot 3 practice rounds on Wednesday with the pad adjusted just like the picture.

My 2nd round misses had nothing to do with where I had the pad...I was messing around too much with bead checking during initial gun mount. When I went back to not even checking the beads during my 3rd round my score obviously improved.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

BigM-Perazzi- I recognized your humor, but considering some posts by others on different threads, I was not sure everyone else would recognize it. In fact, after some handicap rounds I have shot on, I am glad I didn't have a sharp knife handy. Tomorrow will be my last handicap targets for this shooting year and I am sure I will end with a bang.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fitting your to you with a adjustable butt plate