1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable bar chops shot....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Does anyone but me have trouble with their adjustable bar seeming to hang on shot and if moving it by hand to try to weigh the shot, it feels like it is blocked. The hydrolic system on the Mec 9000H will take it on through, but it still acts like it is a shot chopper! I tried to slightly bevel the back edge of the shot hole, but that doesn't seem to help. What's causing this? Biff

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have had good luck replaceing the rubber washer and makeing sure the bottle is seated well. A touch of powder graphite may work also. All though there should be plenty of graphite from the shot.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have found that the shot bottle can be screwed in too tight, causing this problem.

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I load with a 600 jr. Does it all the time, just got to work it through. Doesn't seem to matter how tight, lose, left, right etc anything is.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Neoprene washer needs to be nice and soft so it can redirect a jammed pellet.

HM

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

My adjustable charge bar came with three inserts for the shot cavity, 2 hard plastic for steel shot, and one zinc one for lead shot. If you are using the plastic one for lead it will work, but will start wearing a grove in it and start pinching shot when you try to put the bar back to the powder side.

Check your insert. Wayne

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've had my adjustable charge bar for many years. I have NOT USED it for many years. Me and that bar have never seen eye to eye. I hated it.

I think you'll find that to be true with many. But, I think you'll find it to be one of those either you love them or hate them type of things.

8. biff

biff Active Member

I noticed it more when I tried loading some homemade shot which wasn't perfectly round. Will try the rubber washer under the shot bottle and go back to Lawarence shot, it does have the zinc insert which I had beveled the back edge very slightly on. I had tried it once before and went back to the non adjustable bars. Thanks, Biff

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Hey guys, I'm not new to the game just to the site. I've always used universal and put them on most everything I sell and repair. To use Universal bars on lead you have to use the zinc insert with a grommet under the bottle or if you have a older one with no inserts that is the same also. make sure there is not to much clearance or play between the bar and measure assy if so you can tighten it up by putting a rag between the a pair of Chanel locks and squeeze across the entire length of the measure assy until it fits a little better. Then get some lemon pledge and spray inside the measure assy and let it sit for a few min and then wipe it out good and using the same rag wipe the charge bar down and resemble and see if don't work and slide like butter.

thank
    lee

10. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Use the zinc insert and if it still happens change the brand of shot you are loading -- some of the shot is rather soft and it cuts easily - even if it is called "magnum" shot - certainly the Peru shot is that way. I went to a harder Lawrence shot and the problem stopped. the beav

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.