1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjoining State Gun Transfer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by battuedave, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. battuedave

battuedave Member

I live in Indiana and want to purchase a shotgun from a fellow in Ohio can I do this in person by meeting him in Ohio and do a face to face purchase?
    Thanks all in advance

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

No, a resident from another state cannot do a FTF firearms transaction with an individual from a different state. You could meet at a FFL in his state though and have the FFL transfer it to you.

3. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

That is not necessarily true. I am a FFL holder. We can sale to adjoining states ie; Washington and Idaho. These are long guns only. So call a holder in Ohio and ask. Tim

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Just go and give him cash and he will give you the gun. Done deal and walk away. The less the gov knows the better we are. If you have a CCW permit show that and he will know there was a background check done on you. Same with him. Write down each others drivers lic. No need to go over board on things.

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Gunn,

What isn't necessarily true?

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Just meet each other and do the deal, no taxes, Have done it a lot of times w/ Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania. Only long guns, no handguns.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

+1 on what Auctioneer said. You might trade bills of sale just to cover your backside just in case.

Pat

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

people create problems and sometimes are their own worse enemy. Auctioneer hit the nail on the head. Clean deal and walk away.

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree with "Auctioneer". Some states have weird laws about gun transfers; but I would doubt that would pertain to Ohio and Indiana. As long as it is not a handgun; I would just meet the individual and purchase the gun. Period. No different than purchasing a gun at a local gun show from a private seller. As was stated you might want to get document his drivers license info and have him give you a bill of sale with the serial # and his signature. JMHO. Ed

10. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

User 1,

Thank you for pulling that up. I didn't have time to but like I mentioned in the first post, it has to be done via a FFL in that state.

I'm surprised that so many people here are openly telling a member to break federal law.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Come on guys. Laws are for wussies. Who cares if you get caught and lose your rights to own a gun.

Those laws are just suggestions. They are there in case you want to follow them.

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Aside from the laws are for wussies crowd, the confusion here is that you can purchase a long gun in another state (if allowed under both state's laws), but only from a licensee.

13. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

you can do whatever you want - just be aware what you are considering is against the law

14. esoxhunter

Let me understand this. If I live in, we will say Wisconsin and am visiting in Minnesota. I am at an ATA shoot and find that a fellow shooter from the club that I am shooting at has a nice trap gun for sale. I ask him for his price and he sells it to me. What difference is that than if I went to a local gun show and purchased a gun from a private party who might be from a different state? You naysayers would make one believe that Obama and the Feds are the Gestapo and we will need to live in fear of anything and everything that THEY perceive as a violation. I maintain that I can sell a long gun to anyone in MOST states, (not all) without using an FFL. (In a face to face deal). If you feel I am wrong, then you must be in favor of closing down the gun shows; because that occurs all the time. By the way did any of you defy federal or state laws when you traveled the interstate highways lately; by going 66 mph in a 65mph zone?? Give me a break. You are living in a world of fear and Obama and Holder are smiling.

15. esoxhunter

I forgot to add that I have purchased several guns at estate sales, have purchased guns at my local gun club and have also purchased guns from even garage sales. Are you telling me that you fail to see that this occurs on a daily basis? Do what you want. I will not be threatened by so called perceived laws that are just that; perceived. If you disagree; then you better be on the side of these Obama loving liberals who want to close down the gun shows; because as anyone knows, this is done constantly at these shows.

16. Gary Waalkes

esox -
    You ask "What difference is that than if I went to a local gun show and purchased a gun from a private party who might be from a different state?

There is no difference. Both sales are illegal under federal law. If you go to a gun show in your state with a firearm for sale and a private individual in the parking lot wants to buy it, I would advise that you ask for a drivers lic and determine that the potential buyer is also from your state.

I do not see bogey men behind every tree but there have been stings conducted at gun shows before. My feelings have nothing to do with federal statutes and even less to do with speeding. I do not want folks to be in fear, I just want to respond to the original question. My response remains the same - do whatever you want, just be aware that you are breaking federal law.

17. esoxhunter

Gary: Then you must be in favor of having the feds involved in the operation of the local gun shows. As stated this is done all the time. I still maintain that a person can conduct a personal transaction with another person; as long as it is a long gun and not a handgun. Also a private individual, (does not have to produce any type of paperwork), due to the fact they have no FFL responsibilities. Check your local gun club's bulletin board. It doesn't take a "rocket scientist" to understand that these are personal transactions; if the gun posted is purchased from another shooter. (Even though the seller has no idea as to where this person lives).

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There are alot of laws on the book just to scare the hell out of you. Just because the anti gun people got a law past that says you have to do this and that doesn't mean you have to do it. There isn't a cop behind every tree or street sign. There will be only two people who will know the deal happened. The buyer and the seller.

Did you know there is a law on the books that says the woman CAN'T be on top of the man. It is not legal. Well guess what, I probably have a life sentence like most guys. LOL

If you can buy a long gun or hand gun without state paper work do so. The less the gov knows the better. They will one day take all that paper work and track you down and take all the guns from the people. Just make sure they don't know about all of them so they can't take them all.

19. esoxhunter

User1: So your position is that ALL transactions should and/or need to be processed through a FFL? In other words absolutely no private transactions of firearms. All firearms have to be documented, correct? Because that is what happens when an FFL is involved. Obama and Holder will welcome this type of thinking. How terrible it is to think that the shooting community is so paranoid of the government. Oh well, I guess that is what is happening in this ONCE great country. One more term for Hussein and you won't have to worry about purchasing guns. (With or without FFL documentation).

20. Gary Waalkes

esox - please do not accuse me of being in favor of anything - I am simply telling the original poster that both buyer and seller must be from the same state. You do not want to believe it so I took the trouble of copying the applicable code from the ATF. This paragraph is about the seller, there is a similar one that governs the buyer and talks to bringing a gun into your state of residence.

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector)who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does indiana have a long gun law adjoining states

guns transfer of adjoining state