1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ADJ. RIBS -- NEED ADVICE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasantsgalore, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

At present, both of my trap/sporting guns wear fixed, step ribs. I adjust for POI by moving the comb any time I need to. Are you shooters who have this adj. rib feature, always moving the ribs' POI, leaving alone and adjusting the comb up or down, or what? I have shot for so may years without the thought of an adj. rib feature, but am thinking of having Moneymaker install such a critter on one of my barrels. Those of you who have this feature, are you feeling it is a definate plus? Obviously, it is a great feature to have this adjustment readily available, but do you feel this is worth the money over adding or removing a washer or two to adjust the comb height? Just trying to justify the expense/benifit of having this done, thats all...........Thanks, Rob

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Once the rib on my Seitz is where I want it, it stays there. Any "tweaking" is done with the adjustable comb. The advantage of the adjustable rib is that you atleast have the option of getting the sight picture you want, but sometimes even that isn't perfect.

Caution- Ask Moneymaker how much additional weight their rib may add. It can slightly change the balance of your gun (if your that picky)

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

The answer to this question depends on the type of adjustable rib. Some simply pivot and will change the mid bead and front bead alignment without changing the POI. Others will move the front of the rib and change the POI. One popular gun with an "adjustable rib" actually does not move the rib at all. The rib adjustments bend the barrel up or down and this changes the POI. I shoot and prefer the rib that bends the barrel. To my knowledge, this type of rib is only available on a K-80.

Pat Ireland

4. pheasantsgalore

Pat, So if the K-80, likely the unsingle, bends the barrel somewhat, which will change your POI, in effect, the adj. comb will still accomplish this to some degree also. So changing the barrel hanger, if your gun is so equipped, will also change the POI, but in this case the bottom barrel would be different than the top barrels' POI, right?.........Rob

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Rob, I own both types of guns. I started with fixed rib guns. As you know, the only way to change POI is to move the comb. I am quite used to the "bead alignment" I get that way and it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I set my adjustable rib gun up the same way, because I have a better field of view when there is some rib showing between the beads. Buried beads or Fig-8 beads means means the rib and receiver is higher in relation to my cheek and blocks some of the view. I've proved it to myself often enough that I don't experiment with it any more. I simply pick the bird up sooner and have a clearer view with rib showing between my beads.

So, does that negate the reason for adjustable ribs. Not for me. My Perazzi has a tetter-totter type adjustable rib. The front sight does move when the rib is adjusted. Moving just the rib gives fine adjustments of about 1.5" per notch @ 40 yards. Adjusting my rib is simple, and quick enough that I can do it on the line without affecting the rhythm of the squad. I find it useful.

That being said, I would not spend the money or take the risk of having an adjustable rib installed on a fixed rib barrel. First, the barrel is going to bend when the old rib is removed. It will have to be bent again to straighten it out when the new rib is soldered on. Heating the barrel for soldering will create hot spots and harden the steel at the rib attachment points. Several TS.com posters have complained over the years that their barrels cracked where new ribs were attached.

Then there is the money issue. You know how to adjust your comb to hit targets. You don't seem to be bothered by the bead alignment that results. So in your shoes, I couldn't rationalize the expense for the very limited gain. I've set my comb to give me the POI I need. It is a slight comfort to know that I can, but I actually adjust the only the rib once in a blue moon.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Most POI changes are made through adjusting the comb, since this is the best/easiest way to change the "rear sight" (your eye). An adjustable rib simply adds an intermediate way to fine tune those adjustments, something not really essential in many cases.

The one area I find where an adjustable rib really helps/adds to the equation is in a trap combo. For instance, with my Beretta 687 SPII combo, the O/U bbls do not have an adjustable rib, but the unsingle bbl does. In my case, I first adjusted the comb with the O/U bbls set the POI where I wanted it, and where it worked best for doubles. Once the comb was set, I then changed to the unsingle bbl, and used the adjustable rib to set the unsingle POI where it worked best for singles trap. Now I can readily change between the O/U bbls and the unsingle bbl without having to alter the stock comb.

But with the exception of such combos as above, I am not sure that an adjustable rib really is justified in terms of cost/benefit. Yes, you can do some fine tuning of POI, but in terms of shotgun pattern, is a 1 inch change in POI really significant? I would doubt it. Larger changes in POI are best done through the comb. I do have a Beretta 391 with a Moneymaker adjustable rib, but once dialed in, it never gets changed and I could have set up the gun just as well with a fixed rib and the adjustable comb. So I would have to say that I spent a lot of money on the adjustable rib, but do not get comparable value in return in terms of useful function.

Just my opinion.

Jim R

7. pheasantsgalore

Thank you for all your input. I never thought about the possibility of the barrel maybe " bending" or its " memory" changing somewhat during the process of removing original fixed rib, which will effect the barrel convergence, to a degree. I appreciate your common sense approach and knowledge..........Rob G.

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

jim R., you make some interesting points;most of which I agree with, but I was wondering how you set up your gun for hdc.? or do you use a different gun or shoot it the same as you do your singles.(ydg. will probably figure into this)

I have owned a Ljutic with adj. comb only and a KS-5 special with both adj. comb and rib. Most of the time POI was adjusted with the comb, but I am presently in the process of setting up a DT-10 combo. I have found that adjusting the rib only, seems to work for me so far.(still have a lot of testing to do though) I do change the rib setting from singles to hdc. and yes, an inch change in POI does make a difference. I have also determined that the top bbl of the O/U shoots higher than the bottom bbl. Believe I may have to shoot the top bbl. first.

shoot well,
    Steve

9. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I think the advantage of the adj rib, and comb is that you can raise or lower POI (relative to Point of Aim), and still have the same sight picture (ie stacked beads). I know stacked beads are not something you need to check every time, but if I mount the gun and it seems just a little different, (I'll always remount if needed), I may just "check the beads" to be sure. If you just use the comb to raise POI, it will also work just fine, if you're OK with the sight picture.

As an example, my MX15 in rib position #3 with 10 mm of spacers shoots 6" high at 40 yards. In #4 with 13 mm of spacers it shoots 10" high. In both cases the beads look the same. Is that a big deal?...probably not, but if you do decide to switch it from say 16, to 27 yards, you don't get a different sight picture (ie. space between the beads), which may lead to head raising, or subconciously trying to get lower on the stock. I'm just tossing some ideas out there, I hope it helps.

10. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

AATrap: At first, based upon the experience and recommendations of Averaged, I simply raised the comb by one spacer (1/8") when moving back beyond the 21-22 yard line. This seems to work fairly well for me. Later I also tried just leaving the comb as normal for 16 yard, and really did not notice that much (if any) difference in my ability (poor as it is anyway) to break targets as far back as the 27. I was also experimenting with some faster 1 ounce loads for handicap (normally I shoot 7/8 oz at the 16) so perhaps the extra speed compensated for the lack of comb adjustment. But my basic practice remains to raise the comb that one washer, which per Beretta, changes the POI about 3 inches. It works for me.

Regards, Jim R

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

So, you got and extra $800+ dollars, have Moneymaker make an adjustable rib. What's the big deal?

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Got it Jim, thanks. I am presently shooting the DT-10 with the rib set at the bottom setting, shooting about 90/10 for hdc. with where I have the comb set and moving it(the rib) up one notch---about 80/20 for 16's without adjusting the comb. May find that this will need some changes if I ever get to shoot some more. Weather here in NE is not too conducive to shooting right now.

Steve

13. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

AAtrap:

I'm with you on the weather. Here in Wisconsin, we have not really had a good trap shooting day since well before Christmas, so time is spent reloading, cleaning guns, etc in preparation for shooting rather than doing it. Keep hoping for a nice weekend soon. Good shooting up there in NE.

Regards

Jim R

14. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the one advantage you will find when going with an adj rib will be rib heighth- probably+ 5/8" ,that in itself will be a much greater benefit. this can be tried out with a simple peice of wood@ barrel length and 5/8" tall, then raise your comb the same , you will be amazed on how comfortable it is! ps money makers puts an aluminum rib on so no xtra weight and every barrel is poi tested. jay tells me the perazzis on some barrels are dependant on the rib strength but not the case on others? as far as the stacked beads- i have had nightmares over that issue! shooting with "some rib" or off the end of the barrel - i am almost scared to admit that yes i see more also ,rather than having 2 beads stacked with a big flat rib runway in the way!!

15. pheasantsgalore

What is interesting though, both Kolar and Krieghoff offer newer models with adj. ribs for the sporting clay shooters. I just happened to price out a new barrel for mine, and they are 5 grand.........Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.