1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ADJ. RIB AND COMB POI QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by st8shuter, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

I recently purchased a k80 unsgl with adj rib and comb. As the stock is a wenig custom job it is fairly high. I started with the comb flat and adjusted the rib to where i would normally have my poi on paper. approx 100% or a full pattern above tha aim point. i was struggling chipping and bangin, i have found shooting this gun i had to drop my usual gun hold point approx a foot to smoke targets. i found i am constantly over shooting targets. i found the gun set this way has forced me to change even my call to shot timing,,my question is this, should i set the rib to zero and adjust the comb till they smoke at my usual hold point? will raising the rib accomplish what i am hoping? and allow me to go back to my original hold point?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

By raising the front of the rib ... you will lower your point of impact.

Try shooting straightaway targets and adjust accordingly until you shoot the gun the way you like. Bill Malcolm

3. racer

racer TS Member

Food for thought..... try to reduce the variables. One thing at a time. A new gun is a huge variable. My suggestion is to do what you normally do until you get some rounds in. If it shoots where your old gun did, nothing can be too far off. Dan

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

st8shooter, you don't say which K80 you have, or what your old gun was. It would help to know.

I think you have a trigger timing issue, or a barrel length issue, or a stock fit (comb related) issue.

Stock first. You said you started with the comb all the way down and adjust the rib to get your normal POI. Does the stock fit you the same way as your old one? Specifically is the drop at comb and heel the same? If not, I would set your comb so that the drops are like your old stock, then adjust the rib from there.

Barrel length: Is your new barrel the same length as your old one? If shorter, and you set your POI on paper at a close distance, say 13 yards, your POI at target distance will be higher than you thought. Same thing if you went from a top single to an unsingle, or lower rib to higher rib.

Gun handling: K80s feel like logs to me, but there are several other guns that are even slower moving. If your K80 handles quicker than your previous gun, you may be blowing past targets, especially straight aways.

Trigger timing: I'd have expected you to have the opposite problem. K80 triggers are fast, so you should be shooting right at the bird. If you came from a gun with a faster trigger, you will have to adjust by pulling the trigger a little earlier.

It is also possible that two or more of the above are combining to give the effect you state. Good luck sorting it out. Take one thing at a time, in the order I listed them. I hope this ends up helping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjusting poi on top single mx8

effect of comb height shooting trap

effects of adj comb