1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adj comb ... change for handicap??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

I have adjustable comb with a couple of spacers in it. Still fairly new and generally shoot 16 to 20 yrds. In doing this I'm thinks that as I move back the angle (or drop) of the clay seems to get less as I move back in yardage. Should I be dropping my comb at some point as I move back or up in handicap??

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Your hair will be a mess, if'n ya drop your comb. Lessen ya pick it back up.

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Do your own experimenting, find out by shooting targets. Learn how to read your breaks, wherever the larger piece of the target goes you shot on the opposite side. Example; if the larger piece of the broken target in on the top, you shot on the bottom of the target.

Usually most people leave the comb alone or at most raise it (never lower) 1/8 inch for handicap. Your experimenting will tell you what works best for you.

Enjoy the game of trapshooting, it's a lifetime of enjoyment.

Tom Strunk

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

While the angle relative to the potential point of impact is a bit flatter as you move back, the angle of the projectile (shot) relative to the angle of flight for the target is actually becoming greater, thus greater allowance must be made for the travel of the target...most people raise the comb/lower the rib a bit when you earn yardage...but in the 16 to 20 yard range, little adjustment is necessary. What choke and loads are you using?

WNCRob

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

How about two combs, pre set up. One for each event? I've thought of doing just that. Say, a 50/50 on the 16, and a 80/20 on the 27. But, I guess my brain found a middle ground for both, and I never tried it.

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Phil Kiner says 3/32 to a 1/8 more spacers for 16 to 27. Harlan Campbell says that there is no difference. I started to see the need to shoot higher at the 25.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I saw a difference on my first ATA shoot, and continue to see a difference. For me, adding a 1/16" spacer at the 20 yard line, another at the 23 and another at the 26 seems to work out perfectly.

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I found that I leave the comb alone. From 16 to 25 and a 1/16 from 26 to 27 yards.

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Ajusting the comb instead of the rib. When haveing a gun with 2 barrel set that the O/U barrel has a fixed rib. The comb should be ajusted for that. Then ajust the single ajustable rib to the same POI. This way you always shoot the same no matter what barrel you use. Then from that point you ajust the comb.
    Now if you have a gun that has both ajustable rib on the single and double barrel you can ajust the rib. But for me I want to pick up my gun point and shoot and hit in the same spot evey time. The only way to do that is to keep the rib in the same spot and the comb in the same spot. Ajusting the comb with shims is a easy way to see were you are at a glance.
    This all works for me.

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Until the introduction of adjustable combs and such nobody ever needed them and they broke targets just fine so ... why even have an adjustable comb? Why not be like the originators of this sport and be the best you can be without having things to compensate for any errors you may make or have?

Ya know I have never seen a good shooter playing with his comb between events and those who are playing with them are shooting like crap so ... take that into consideration and ask yourself if you want to be one of those who adjust your comb in between events.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mr Newbius©- Yes, shooters in 1975 did break targets just fine, but the average shooters did not break as many of them as average shooters do today.

I would not recommend making any comb adjustments between the 16 and the 20 yard lines. I do not make any adjustments between the 16 and the 27 yard line. I try to set up my gun to shoot from the 27 and then shoot singles with this set up.

Adjusting the rib can change the POI if the front of the rib is moved. Changes that are restricted to the rear of the rib will not change the POI.

Pat Ireland

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

So Pat, the shooters of today are not any better than the average shooters in 1975 but because of adjustable combs and such things like that they can break more and not actually be better shooters?

Kind of goes along the same road I have thought for awhile Pat.

Now from what your saying is that you set your gun up for the 27yd line and then use that set up to shoot the 16yd line as well so in reality you do not adjust the comb when going from the 16 to the 27 which is what the question was.

14. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Mr. Newbius -

I beg to differ with your accessment that the shooters back in the day did not have adjustable combs. You are correct that most didn't, but the most successful one did.

I believe that Arnold Reiger (spelling) was the man credited with causing the ATA to change maximum handicap distance from the 25 yard line to the 27. This was because he won so much. His gun was on display at the old Reno, Nevada gun club, and he had an adjustable comb, crude, but still an adjustable comb. His stock had a leather cover that was tied at the bottom, he used paper or cardboard under the leather sleeve to raise or lower the comb. This is fact.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjust comb as you move back in trap

adjustment sfor trap shooting at yardage
stock adjustment for handicap trap