1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adhesive for delrin add-on ribs?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone have any ideas? I've been doing my own research and have some ideas, but figured why reinvent the wheel if someone already has the info. Must be removable yet not fall off. I know there are a number of people out there producing delrin add-on ribs, so there has to be something that works well.

2. pfofml

pfofml Member

Skeet_Man

3M makes a very effective double backed tape. Although I've not used it to attach ribs, I have used in industial setting and found it to keep down things larger than ribs. It is important to remove all traces of oil before application.

Peter

3. skeet_man

Peter- Thanks for the info. I emailed dennis devault with the same question and he told me the same thing. Now to find which one LOL, there must be 30 different kinds of double coated tape on the RS Hughes website.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Silicone seal works on about everything, stays put, yet is easy to remove. I've used it on aluminum ribs, and I don't see why it wouldn't work on delrin.
    I recently ran across a clear double stick tape at Walmart that is the best I've ever seen. Maybe that's the tape that Skeet_Man is referring to. However, It is much more difficult to install a rib with double stick tape because you can't re-position the rib if you make a mistake.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

If you use doubles sided tape to attach your rib, becareful around any porting or end if you use a ported tube. The exhaust will slowly burn away the tape. You need to be able to protect the exposed tape area from the hot gasses!

ec90t

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Use hitemp Permatex gasket silicone. The blue tube at auto parts stores. About $5.00

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Black silicone RTV Gasket Maker from any auto parts store works like a champ..and you can remove the rib if you desire without damage.

Big Jack

8. skeet_man

Dick- The problem with delrin is its lubricity. It has properties similar to teflon in that nothing (almost) will stick to it. Super glue appears to work with limited success, but wouldn't be easily removable. The more i read on the net about people having trouble gluing delrin, the more investigation I did, and it was gloom and doom @ every turn. Turns out it looks like double sided tape is going to be the way to go as far as durability, I found the perfect tape for this application and will order some tmrw. Silicone was my 1st thought, as that was what I used on my kolar when I put an aluminum add-on rib on (and man, does that stuff WORK,,,,you really have to want the rib to come off to get it off LOL), but it looks like there is a better choice when it comes to delrin (I wish silicone would work as well, as it would be MUCH cheaper).

EC- I don't think that will be too big of an issue, as the tape will be parallel with the add-on and substrate rib. I will be using the same tape that dennis devault uses, and i'm sure experience has shown him it isn't an issue or he would have found something else by now (and believe me, this tape ISN'T cheap, $125 for a 72 yd roll by 1/2" wide from the only dealer I could find that would sell a single roll, everyone wants over a grand for a case).

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I got a tube of black epoxy from Marble's about 7 years ago, to put an aluminum rib on a barrel. It worked great. Still on, and still soft.

They told me it was the same stuff they use to put golf club heads on the shaft.

If I needed to do it again I would contact them for more. It filled a gap due to poor fit very well too.

HM

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Skeet_man,

The problem that I stated was from personal experience. If you have a ported barrel/choke it will happen. The gasses don't care if the exposed tape is parallel or obtuse.

ec90t

11. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

skeet man,

I have a delrin rib that I have taken off and reused many times on different guns. I use 3M tape from the auto parts store that is about 3/8's of an inch wide and has a red plastic back that you remove. I have tried just about every kind of adhesive made including silicone, apoxy and others. Nothing even comes close to the ease and durability of the 3M red backed tape. It will not come off on its own, yet is fairly easy to remove if you want. Porting, hot or cold weather or anything else I can think of will not bother it.

Mark R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

double sided tape to delrin

doubled sided tape for add a rib