1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adhesive for comb pad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rebelpenn, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

I have fashioned some comb pads from 3/16" mouse pad that would seem to be excellent for the purpose. Is there any type adhesive I can use to adhere the pad to the comb that would be removable without damaging finish of stock?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Silcone seal will hold and is the easiest material to remove without harming the wood. However, it doesn't stick instantly so you will have to apply pressure for a few minutes.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Use what Perazzi uses to mount their recoil pads: contact cement.

I've used mouse pads in the past, and the solvent based contact cement is my preferred method. You can remove it with lacquer thinner as well.

WW

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Try "BARGE".......

5. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

I tried the double sided tape. It didn't work. It wouldn't stay stuck.

Whiz,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is contact cement? Can it be bought at Wally World, Lowes etc.?

Also, Old Cowboy,

What is Barge & where does one buy it?

Thanks.

Bill

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

3M makes a spray on contact cement, Super 77, that might work well. Says it cleans up with turpentine.

7. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

Will turpentine & lacquer thinner not harm the finish of the stock when removing the pad?

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Bill,

I think Barge is considered a "contact" cement.......it's used a lot in leather work. You'll prob'ly find it in any hardware store in the glue/adhesives section, if you can't find it there try a saddlery or hobby leather store. I've used it to re-stick "stick-on" comb pads that had come unstuck around the edges and it works pretty well.

John C. Saubak

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Contact cement works very well but you need to do it right. Clean the comb with alcohol to get any oils off. Put the cement on both surfaces and let them air dry for about 10 minutes. Then stick them together and wrap the pad to the stock with 3M blue painters tape and let sit for a few hours. When the glue has cured and is fully set up, remove the tape and you should be good to go. 3M blue leaves no residue and removes easily.

Eric

10. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

Eric,

Can the contact cement be removed from the stock along with the pad at some point in the future without damaging the stock finish (oil or high gloss finish)?

Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions.

Bill

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Oil finishes are going to be affected by nearly anything you use to remove any kind of glue. Maybe Goo Gone would be an exception, I don't know. High gloss "plastic" finishes will typically not be effected by natural solvents like alcohol or turpentine, but you should always test first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.