1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding wt. to stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ibjamin, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Ibjamin

Ibjamin Member

I am going add some weight to the stock of my trap gun for balance and recoil reduction. Instead of jamming a bunch of shot in the bolt hole I thought would put the shot in a piece of copper pipe with the ends sealed. My questions is will the copper have any negative effects on the wood?

Randall

2. undersluice

undersluice Member

Add a mercury filled cylinder (C&H, Gracoil etc) in there. Works very well.

Thanks,
    JB

3. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

you will gain more weight by filling it with shot. put a piece of gorilla tape on it the end of it. Then add your recoil pad. You can switch pads or do what ever you want to at that end of it.

The only downfall is if you have to take the stock off, you have dump the shot out of it.

Putting in a copper tube with shot is a pain. so like six or a halve a dozen.....

Kenny U

4. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

If the hole is big enough diameter load a hull full of shot crimp it and insert in the stock. You may be able to get 2 in.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just did something similar to my Ithaca Century. I put the shot in a plastic bag that compression seals and could shape it any way I liked. Bulge.

6. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

What gun stock are you adding to? I have made stock weight for k80 to replace the aliminum sleave for stock bolt, get weight more foward for balance. If it is an auto different story. The good part is with my weights I can still use my stock wrench through my pad. IMO thanks Ronnie

7. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I wish some one made a larger stock bolt like Remington sold for the .410 & .28 ga framed 1100s sold as Skeet Weights to make the small ga same as the larger ga.. If one had a machine shop & sold Stock Bolts for different models in different weights. Well there's a idea, I only wish I knew how to market it & sell it. Good Shooting.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Randall, I've used copper tubing filled with melted lead for years!! As others have suggested, I too tried all those thingies for felt recoil reduction. The lead filled straight copper tubing is the best of the best! I use 3/4", 7/8ths and 1" straight copper tubing to make these. It just don't get any better!

Besides being cheap when compared to mercury and other springie bouncie thingies, this dead weight is quicker acting on felt recoil! Costs? Pennies compared to the high dollars for commercial made whizgidgets that clatter, splash forward before it hits the end etc. Been there done all that crap, apply the KISS method for better instant results.

HAP

hapmectweaks_2008_030362.jpg

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I've followed Hap's lead on this - the main thing needed is a melting pot which I've got. If you tell me what you need in terms of copper pipe diameter and length, I'd be willing to set one up for you. It would just cost you shipping and a little for the pipe which I can get for you at the hardware store. I have some wheel weights around here somewhere that didn't cost me anything.

Send me a personal message if interested. You can see some of my work here:

joekuhn_2008_030346.jpg

Joe

10. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

That Hap has some good ideas, funny how valuable age and experience play in this game. Scott

11. Hap MecTweaks

BUT, but Scott, I'm only 39?? :)

A propane torch is all I use. Stand the copper tubing on end on an iron plate, put in loose lead, wheel weights or lead chunks, re-claimed shot, heat with torch from bottom up and that's it, solid lead inside when cooled! Cut to length, instant felt recoil reduction. KISS method began after I learned to keep my cash in my pocket instead of buying whizgidgets on others advice.

OH, I paint mine with a black epoxie paint, looks better??

HAP

12. joe kuhn

Blow by heat from a torch scares the hell out of me, so I use an electric melter. Too many fires as a boy.

Hi ya Hap.

13. Hap MecTweaks

LMAO@JOE, I made my living with a torch and welding machine! I do melt lead outside with the torch and use a fan to keep the fumes away from me. Probably safer than pouring melted lead too?? This is just the way I do thingies.

HIYA Joe!! HAP

14. Ibjamin

Ibjamin Member

Good morning everyone and thanks for all the input. I have a BT-99 with 34" barrel that is muzzle heavy. One of the previous owners drilled a 1" hole in the stock a 3/4" copper pipe with copper end cap is almost a perfect fit. I have lead pot and lead I will just fill with lead. Determining the balance point is the next question. Ask 2 shooters get 4 answers. By the way estimated cost is 5-6 dollars max.

Thanks again.

Randall

15. joe kuhn

I like my gun to balance just in front of the trigger guard. Makes for an easy swing to the target.

16. Hap MecTweaks

I was wondering when the balance myth would pop up! Let me place my gun against your shoulder. You pull it in and finish mounting it in prep for a shot and I defy you to tell me whether or not it's balanced!

My hunting guns I carry more than shoot, I want it balanced between my hands and for carrying all day long. My trap gun, after it's mounted makes NO difference at all and it's a heavy gun. If you happen to be an arm swinger on trap targets, possibly?

HAP

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Remove 8oz from your stock, and stick it on the end of your barrel, and tell me you can't tell the difference in how the gun swings...

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Hap, you are right about balance in trap gun. It's meaningless in the pre-mounted game of trap. Once the stock is brought to the shoulder all one can tell is whether the front end it too heavy or too light.

A balanced field gun could be quicker to the shoulder and more comfortable to carry.

19. joe kuhn

I had problems with a barrel end that was too heavy. Solved it by weighting down the stock end, hence my balance preference. Some guys don't have problems like this because they have stronger upper bodies. Noticed a big difference after joining a gym in the middle of winter. Maybe it's just a perception problem (between my ears).

Joe

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Joe, it is between your ears. Adding weight to the stock does not make the barrel lighter, it just makes the stock heavier. There is no balance because one end is on your shoulder.

Search tags for this page

trap gun stock weights