1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding weight to XT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mahrbeezer, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

What is the best way to add weight to a Browning XT and keep it hidden? I like a heavy gun. I plan on doing the stock and maybe a barrel weight.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I make barrel weights that will fit the Browning XT to go under your forend.

See website above or email me for more info.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's enough room in the bolt hole to insert some lead weight. For the fore end,
    I saw pictures of the weight skeet man makes and the price, and that is definitely the way to go.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Skeetmans weights

5. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

Im trying to find the website of skeetmans weights and no luck!! Anyone know what it is?

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Im trying to find the website of skeetmans weights and no luck!! Anyone know what it is?"

Yes, it's posted directly below your first post and 3 posts above this one!

Morgan

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Mahr- I got your email on the 6th and replied on the 7th, you didn't receive my reply I take it? I think my emails are being eaten by spam filters or something, as you wouldn't be the 1st recently to have not gotten my reply.

Here it is again:

The max weight we could add on the barrels would be around 12oz. A set of weights of this length (27" would be necessary for this weight) would be $135 without steel inserts, $155 with steel inserts.

You can also reach me by phone @ 585-613-8098, which may be a better proposition at this point if email doesn't work.

8. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I thought i was looking for something different. I looked on that website and its not what Im looking for. Thanks for the help!! Any other suggestions on adding weight?

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

this post makes no sense at all to me. I want weight that cannot be seen but the invisible ones you want me to look at are not what I am looking for??? What are you looking for - a suggestion to put lead into the bolt hole??

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Spend 10 minutes, take off your buttplate and fill up the hole with shot. Make a wooden plug to cap the hole or put a thin sheet of cardstock or plastic over the hole. I used packing tape, and it holds just fine. I haven't weighed it, but I think it might be as much as a pound. It's a big hole.

I wanted the weight on the rear of the gun so I don't have to support it with my left hand. I'm actually going to take some of it out and fill up the bottom of the hole with a paper towel plug - it's too heavy for my taste. I could feel it in my back muscles after about 8 rounds of trap. I wouldn't want to shoot a marathon with it the way it is, although it does seem to reduce perceived recoil.

Once you figure out how much weight you actually want, you can make or buy something more permanent.

11. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I want to add over 2 lbs to my gun but the one that skeetman has would stick out pretty far. Let me correct myself, the weight i want would be too long. Its a great idea and im pondering on the shorter weight that will fit under my forearm. They are very nicely designed, but Im trying to keep the cost down also. I would like to see other alternatives so i can choose the best one to my liking. Im glad this site is available for help and experience of others to share. Thanks to all for the help and any others ideas are very much appreciated. Shoot em all.

12. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

A pound of shot costs you nothing, puts the weight on the butt of the gun, and requires no permanent changes to the gun. No offense, but why wouldn't you try this first to see how it shoots?

I just did this Wednesday night with an XT, so the memory is fresh. Don't forget that you have to hold up the gun with your left hand. I'm not sure why you'd want to put that much weight out toward the front of the gun.

Also, ask yourself if you really want to shoot a 12 pound shotgun. I think you'll end up with less weight by the time you're done.

13. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I need a heavy gun, I flinch bad once the gun gives me a slap. I shoot a gun over 12lbs now and i like it alot but i want to get away from an auto. Yes, my arm does get a little tired sometimes but i guess i have to sacrifice something for my liking. I did add weight to the stock, about 1 lb, so Im looking to add another pound up front. Very big difference in recoil wih a heavy gun, almost none.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.