1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Weight to gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Under the thought that the only thing that mitigates recoil is weight...

I have a Beretta 686 that I shoot very well. If I wanted to add weight to reduce recoil, but didn't want to change the swing characteristics of the gun, I thought I would...

Find the balance point of the gun and add weight underneath the fore end and stock to maintain that same balance point, realizing that the amount added will probably not be equal at each spot to maintain this.

Am I thinking about this correctly or is there another/better way of achieving the addition of weight?

Thanks,

Chip

P.S. I do own a clamp on barrel weight from Graco as an alternative to underneath the fore end.

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

It's not just the balance point, there's the mass moment of inertia to consider.

"it encompasses not just how much mass the object has overall, but how far each bit of mass is from the axis. The further out the object's mass is, the more rotational inertia the object has, and the more torque (force* distance from axis of rotation) is required to change its rotation rate...."

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use the clamp on barrel weight and put some weight in the butt stock. You can move the barrel weight back and forth to fine tune the balance point. HMB

4. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

I do not know what the underside of your forearm looks like, but I shoot an older style Perazzi DB-81. The single barrel cavity under the forearm has a cavity that allowed me to put a nylon bag of shot that weighs about 12 ounces. I then use a mercury reducer that weighs 3/4 pound in the butt stock. I ended up with perfect balance. I have been told that adding a solid weight under the forearm can crack the wood. I wrap the shot in Saran wrap and then sew a small bag of rip-stop nylon. This keeps the lead dust and graphite from getting your gun dirty, and also makes it easier to sew up the bag.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Check out my website above, I make weights that fit between the barrels. The 680 line in Berettas are far and away the most frequent gun I make the weights for because the barrels and entire guns are on the light side when it comes to target shotguns.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Take the recoil pad off and add shot in the stock bolt hole and then add coins to keep shot in hole and tut recoil pad back on, and then for the front try those stick-em weights.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longhshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adding weight to a bench gun

adding weight to a shotgun

adding weight to a shotgun barell
adding weight to shotgun barrel

adding weight to shotgun stock

how to weight a gun butt
proper butt weights in trap guns