1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Weight To Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KS-OKIE, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

After reading the other thread on weight vrs porting I began to wonder about the weight side of the issue but didn`t want to hi-jack someone elses thread.Lets say on a single bbl trap gun if you were to add 6 oz of total weight would there actually be a reasonable difference in felt recoil sensation if weight was added at front of forearm,in grip area,or in middle of buttstock ? Same amount of weight added just in different areas.I know a person can over think little things in this game,but does one location have an advantage over another? Lets not worry about gun balance or swing ability..THANKS..John KS-OKIE.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

John, you old coot.

From a purely physics standpoint, it should not make any difference where you put the weight.

Tim

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

KS-OKIE:

If we ignore gun balance and pointability, mass is mass. No matter where additional mass is added to a gun, the added mass increases inertia which soaks up recoil.

sissy

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The question referred to felt recoil. If you move the felt recoil from your face to your shoulder, the same amount of recoil can feel totally different. Thus the placement of the additional weight can make a difference. HMB

5. KS-OKIE

Every time the subject of weight comes up I think of your hands on the gun.Your hands create 3 zones,in front of - in between - and behind.I bet your rear hand takes more of the felt recoil than the front so is it possible that you could be better served with the added weight between your hands? Again,just for this thought lets discount swing and center of balance.Not much to do today but watch a cold,dark,rainy, March day go buy..KS-OKIE.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Sissy is correct mass is mass. Seems to me that all things being equal a heavier barreled gun kicks less than a gun with lighter barrels and a heavier receiver. not just my opinion the British observed this 100 or more years ago.

Joe

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Joe, wouldn't the heaviest barrels also have a tad less muzzle rise on firing than a lighter barrel? I think so yet the recoil to mass overall plays a huge part in less (felt) recoil.

Hap

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

the easiest way to accomplish is lose a few lbs of trapshooters love handles...then the gun will feel heavier...everything is relative.. and yes!..I are a fysix professer

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Well-Known Member

why would you want to ignore balance?

10. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I think if you do the math my 12# gun has about 25% less recoil than a 8# gun. I also think shooters add weight in the wrong place, they add weight to the stock and tell me they like the lively feel and then proceed to shoot over targets. I think this causes most people to set up a shotgun that, because of the wippy feel, shoots to low. I know that Phil Kiners says 95% of the misses are low and in keeping score in league shooting I see most of the misses low. John 8703697

11. KS-OKIE

EuroJoe:I know that swing and balance are very important but I just wanted to address the weight issue.On my 682 Gold E the balance point is different with the wood stock than what it is with my PFS on it.With the PFS I seem to have a greater % of the guns weight between my hands.I just seem to have the feeling that my hands absorb more felt recoil with the PFS (I like that much better than feeling it on my shoulder).The thread about overthinking this game really hits the nail on the head here doesn`t it.I ask a simple question and right away my friends start calling me an "OLD COOT"...John.

12. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Mass is not Mass for all purposes if by that you mean that each measurement of gun movement is the same

A shotgun has rotational movement upwards because of the fixed nature of how it is anchored to the body

While mass may be mass for the fomulae of recoil alone which is M time V= recoil where you actually put the mass will change the vectors of force

Putting all the mass in the buttstock will make the gun move differently in recoil than if you put all the mass just behind the muzzle

It will change felt recoil depending on where you put the mass- the final numbers of recoil will be the same but the vectors to reach that calculation may be different

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter

I've had to pull the balance point of my gun back to just in front of the trigger. If the balance point is too far in front of the trigger, I can't seem to get to the target and I shoot low. Adding weight to the stock fixed this and decreased recoil - a happy coincidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adding weight to a shotgun

adding weight to a trap shotgun

adding weight to shotgun stock
how to add weihts to browning shot gun
howto add weight to shotgun stock
putting weight in buttstock

shotgun buttstock weight

shotgun stock weights