1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding weight to BT-99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I have a new BT-99 and was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to add a bit of weight but still maintain balance. 34" bbl, everything else standard - would like to add 8-16 oz.

2. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Here one way - attach a lead weight under the recoil pad.

Remove the pad, use a wood bit and drill a shallow counterbore in a convenient location. Use a drill 1 size smaller and drill a hole in a piece of scrap wood. Then, melt some lead fishing sinkers (empty tuna can, propane torch, and out of doors) and pour into hole in scrap wood. The lead will harden in a nice cylinder that will fit into your stock. Drill a hole thru the center of lead and use a screw to fasten it to the stock. Figure out oz weight desired and size of lead plug - before you start any drilling. For counter-balance, I would suggest a barrel clamp-on device of some sort.

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

There are mercury filled tubes that fit perfectly in the stock behind the butt plate. The one I used for my first bt was made by Bennelli. But,wow do they get heavy. I would recommend a shock absorber type butt pad instead. Gracoil, R.A.D. are both good

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Get some lead tape from Whiz at S & W Supply. You'll find his number here.

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I had a dead mule recoil reducer installed in stock hole of my BT. An Edwards works fine also. Simple solution. Clyde

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Anyone ever fill the stock bolt hole with #9 shot?

7. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

IF I was happy with the current balance, my approach would be to find and mark the exact balance point by balancing the gun on a 1/4" piece of plywood mounted in a vise. I'd buy a Graco barrel weight set (comes with 3 weights), attach it very close to the forend tip and use a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe, a section of rubber hose, or something similar as a shot container for the butt. Since you can't know except by trial and error the exact weight in the butt that will give you the right balance point, using lead shot in a container will let the butt weight be finely adjustable. Of course, all that would allow you to play with different balance points, too. And there's more to handling quality than just overall weight and balance point....weight distribution is really key to attaining the right MOI.

My go-to BT99 has a soft touch reducer in it and is consequently not neutrally balanced but quite butt heavy...I like it. It weighs 8lb 15 ounces but has the barrel speed I want. I'm training a TM1 to replace it and by adding 6 ounces of shot in a PVC tube to the butt I achieved the same 8 lbs 15 ounces and the same balance point of 4 & 1/8" ahead of the trigger. They are as identical as a BT99 and a TM1 can be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
add weight to a bt-99
add weight to bt99
adding weight to a bt 99 stock
adding weight to bt 99
adding weight to bt99

adding weight to the bt 99

bt 99 weights

putting lead weight in a bt 99