1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Weight to a BT99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Landshark, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landshark

Landshark Member

I just got a new BT99 as my first dedicated trap gun. It's a 34" with the shitty factory adj comb. I got it for a song so I bought it. I usually shoot a tubed 525 so I'm used to a fairly heavy gun. I also shoot an 1100 on ocassion witha cap weight.

When shooing the BT, it seems extremely light and whippy. What is the best way to add some weight to this gun? Lead tape comes to mind as well as a clamp on weight. Both of these solutions are not high on my list.

Another thing that is taking time to get used to is the beaver tail forearm. Does Wenig make a replacement for the BT?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The clamp on weight works fairly well. You can also add some weight inside the butt stock to get the balance point where you want it. HMB

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Lead tennis racquet tape. I use it on most of my single bbl guns and for sur on a BT

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There is a company that makes a fairly discrete stick on weight that is contoured to match the barrel. For the life of me, I can't remember who makes it.

As far as the forearm is concerned, any of the stockmakers ought to be able to help you out with that.

ss

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

If you can get used to the forearm, it's a good idea to leave it on. The reason for the beavertail is to keep you from clenching. It actually works pretty well. You tend to let it rest in your hand rather than hold on too tight. As far as the weight, you can put a fairly hefty mercury tube in the stock. The ones made for bennelli fit in pretty well. Bill in MI

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I route in a groove inside the forend at the front and pour in melted lead. Works great and you can't see it. Also puts the weight out at the front,
    where you want it.

7. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

I was going to suggest poured lead in the forearm, like sky buster said. I did that to my BT-99 trying to get my BT to balance like my Broadway. Worked, too.

8. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

If you put weight in the stock without offsetting it in the front, your gun will be MORE whippy. Get yourself an 8 oz. clamp on weight for the barrel. Move it a little fore and aft until the front end feels good and not so whippy. THEN - if it feels a little too much front heavy, experiment with a little bit of lead fishing weight in the stock. As you get better with the way it feels and your preference, you can actually adjust where the lead weight is positioned in the buttstock in order to really fine tune the gun feel. You can use a spent, shortened 28gage hull and some folded cardstock to allow repositioning the lead weight in the stock just a littel bit fore and aft. You'll be surprised what a huge difference a small amount of weight in the stock has on muzzle movement/ speed.

9. coffee

coffee Member

What hmb said is true. Adding weight in the butt stock
    worked great for me and economical.

Coffee

10. Landshark

Landshark Member

Thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it.

I saw a barrel weight on Angle-Port's website, but it's $125, ouch! I'll do some more searching.

Landshark

11. FClasser

FClasser TS Member

Jim:
    Go to WWW.nokick.com and look under products for weights . You will see clamp on weight for $59.00. I bought one and they are very nice. They come with 3 different weights. Hope this helps
    Tom

12. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Landshark, I have a competition forend for the early model BT-99, complete with the latching hardware if you are interested.

13. NO-WAY

NO-WAY TS Member

how much do you want for bt-99 comp. forearm?

14. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

NO-WAY. I will ship it to ya for a hundred dollars in the 48.

15. NO-WAY

NO-WAY TS Member

How big a job to fit it to a new model ?

16. Landshark

Landshark Member

I ordered the $59 weight kit as well. Thanks!

17. fishguts

fishguts Member

You can make a clamp on barrel weight with the barrel band from a 12ga. model 12. Put the top part on your barrel and tighten the two screws on the side. Use some type of round stock in the opening for the m12 mag. tube.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adding weight to a bt 99 stock

adding weight to bt 99

barrell weight for browning bt99

bennelli mercury tube that will fit the bt 99

browning bt-99 specifications

bt 99 barrel weights

bt99 barrel weight

bt99 heavy forearm