1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding weight to a barrel heavy gun...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LukeG, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeG

LukeG Member

I've got an 1100 that is pretty barrel heavy right now (synthetic stock and hastings barrel) and I plan on adding some stick-on wheel weights to try and even it out a bit.

I know it comes down to preference, but I'm just curious on the general consensus of where the center of gravity lies on a well balanced gun. Is it typically around the trigger?

Thanks for any advice ahead of time.

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

While there is no one "balance point" for all guns, and shooters (some like muzzle heavy, some like butt heavy (muzzle light) in general the average factory balance point on over/unders or break actions seems to be around the pivot pin area. On pumps and semi-autos, this point generally seems to be just back the point where the barrel enters the receiver. But don't worry about where the balance point "should be". Just find the balance that works best for you, whether that is muzzle light or more towards muzzle heavy. Again, in general a "muzzle heavy" gun will be slower to start moving, but will tend to keep moving once started(aids in not stopping swing for some), while a muzzle light gun will start moving faster, but for some might be harder to sustain the swing follow through. Its all a matter of preference and shooting style.

Jim R

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I want my hunting gun light and balanced between the hands.

I want my trap gun as heavy as I can horse it up 500 times! As Fred says, balance isn't that important in firing off-hand with a mounted gun!

Harlan Campbell's shotgun weighs close to 15 pounds?? For what reason?

Hap

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I like a muzzle heavy gun. The first thing I do is put a polychoke on my autos. It does two things I like. I can change chokes without carrying tubes with me and it adds weight to the muzzle making ME shoot better. There is a limit. The extra weight of the ventilated polychokes hurts my shooting, the sleeve without vents is just right. It helps my scores even more in skeet and sporting clays than in trap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.