1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adding weight in stock - what is best method

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by samthompson, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samthompson

samthompson Member

I am interested in adding weight to my Perazzi stock.

One option is the purchase a DEAD MULE recoil reducer... has anyone come up with other options/solutions?

I have heard the option/solution of adding shot - but my question is what would shot be put in so it does not break & spill after time?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Skeetbender

Skeetbender Active Member

In the past I have put shot in a sandwich bag, pushed into the hole into the stock to form fit it.

Removed it after I got the shape I needed wrapped it with duct tape and reinstalled.

Snug and does not leak lead and can be removed and reinstalled without issue.

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

I have a 10 oz. dead mule in mine.

you could always melt down a few oz of shot and fill a length of copper pipe with it. That can't go anywhere.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

No need to spend the $$ for mercury or other commercial weights...fill a small piece of PVC tubing or 12 ga empties (some 3") with shot. Plain ol' duct tape to close up the opening or trim off the base of a 12 ga. shot cup to seal. "Cut to fit & paint to match" - weight is weight and a few ounces will help get the effect you are after. Regards, Ed

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Whatever you put into the stock, be sure to anchor it fore-and-aft so that it can't move under recoil. I have a friend that cut the foot off a heavy pair of panty hose, put about 1 oz of shot into the toe and lowered it into the stock hole. Then he filled the rest of the toe with #8 shot until it filled the stock hole and tied it shut with a twist tie, jammed some aluminum foil on top to snug it all up and went shooting.

Keller

6. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I made my own - like so many others. The lead shot idea worked and looked great - for a time. No amount of duct tape would keep all the shot inside the tube I had made. Then, I bought one of the mercury devices and I notice a significant difference in felt recoil. I have 10 ounces in my BT99 stock. I also placed one in my wife's BT99. We're both happy and recoil-pain free.

For me, the use of lead shot was a test. It worked, but I replaced it with the real deal.

Larry

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Copper tubing, solder a cap on one end then put in the amount of shot you want as in 5 ozs 10 ozs or what ever.

Then cut to length apoxy another cap on the the other end place in the stock. Cut a piece of dowl material to take out the remaining space and put the recoil pad back on the gun.

Bob Lawless

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use straight copper tubing of various sizes filled with melted lead for adding weight. I mostly use 1" tube and getting ready to add lead to some 1-1/4 tube I found. The 1 inch filled weighs about 4.x ozs per inch. Best at reducing felt recoil of all the gimmicks I've even used.

Hap

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I used a small medicine bottle and filled it with a mix of shot stirred into silicone...after it dried after packing in the bottle was wrapped in enough duct tape to hold snug ..it had the added benefit of being a vibration damper of sorts...worked like a charm

10. Franklin

Franklin TS Member

after installing your pvc pipe, use a piece of garden hose between tube and recoil pad to hold. no rattling.

11. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

I use a piece of brass, rectangular or round, and buffer it on either end with a plastic wine bottle cork. Wrap the brass with duct tape if necessary to make it fit tight. Does not rust, leak, or leave a powder residue.

12. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I have used pvc and copper filled with lead, BUT I think a good used recoil reducer from this site is the best way to go. just my 2 cents

13. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

My 14 oz recoil reducer that is fo sale..

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

All wrong after reading the different methods. I simply filled the stock bolt hole on an 870 with shot and the recoil pad capped it off. After two years of use shooting approximately 5000 rounds I decided to put a Jack West stock on the gun. Removed the recoil pad, dumped the shot and swapped stocks, no harm done. I'm sure there must be a good explanation as to why my method was wrong, just sayin.....

Robert

15. buster45

buster45 Active Member

I have used lead pipe the same diameter of stock bolt hole then put a brass pipe inside of that. Works great you may need to put a little electrian tape on outside to keep it from sliding the beauty of it is you can still remove stock with original tool without removing pad or weights.

Buster

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...I'm sure there must be a good explanation as to why my method was wrong, just sayin....."</I></blockquote>Yeah...you didn't use the pantyhose!

Keller

17. skeezix

skeezix Member

Robert - nothing at all wrong with that. Simple is good. Unless you have an adjustable comb or an adjustable butt plate that is open to the stock bolt hole. Or you don't want the weight of a full cavity and don't want the rattle of a partially empty cavity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.