1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding TruLock chokes to fixed barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I want to have a Remington 1100 fixed full barrel threaded for TruLock chokes.
    Can you suggest someone wh can do this for me?

Larry

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Carlson's in Atwood KS. Pretty sure they use Trulock Choke threads.

3. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Thanks, timb99.

They have a decent price for boring that includes three chokes and a wrench. Seems my 28 inch fixed full will be heading to KS in the near future.

Larry

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Carlson's

5. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

carlsons did 2 of my 20ga 870's. nice job, reasonable, fast turnaround, pattern great. Make sure you spring the cuppla extra bucks for the extended chokes.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Back when I had Carlson's do my Ithaca 37 barrel they used a proprietary thread due to the thinness of metal at the barrel. Talk to them about what you want before you send your barrel.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

wireguy,

I think their proprietary thread is the Trulock thread.

I think they call it Tru-Choke, but its the same.

If your barrel wall is too thin, its just a thinwall Trulock

<i>I THINK</i>

9. r2d1robert

r2d1robert TS Member

Larry,

I had the same thing done to my 1100 fixed full barrel.
    Mike Orlen is the guy I used.
    He does excellent work and has an extremely fast turnaround. Including two Colonial choke tubes with the Tru-Choke thread pattern, shipping both ways, it only cost me $95 and 6 calendar days.

If you would like to see the work first hand PM me. We are not too far from each other.

Bob

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I thought Trulock built chokes but didn't necessarily have a proprietary thread, just made chokes for most makes of guns. Can anyone clarify?

11. r2d1robert

r2d1robert TS Member

Wireguy,

Trulock Chokes (the company) has a line of choke tubes that have a specific thread dimension (.795x44 double lead) called "tru-choke," a name used to describe a thread design from the Trulock company. I have choke tubes from Colonial Arms and Trulock. Also, other choke manufacturers can make a choke with the tru-choke thread dimensions. Trulock, Briley, and others also make chokes that fit other gun manufacturers' thread dimensions such as Beretta, Browning, Remington, etc.

Using my chokes as an example, I have a Colonial Arms "Full" choke tube (#12-TSSO6). This tube has a thread dimension of (.795x44 double lead) also identified as tru-choke. I was able to cross-reference this to the Trulock model number (#SC12700). Both choke tubes fit my barrel beautifully and, in my estimation, work well. The reason I chose to buy extra tubes from Trulock is that their tubes have a larger knurled section extending from the end of the barrel and include notches for a choke tube wrench (any brand/style will work).

Hope this helps.

Bob

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

So truchoke is truly a proprietary thread and not simply Winchoke, as used in Winchester, Mossberg and a Browning as Invector?

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

correct wireguy.

14. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

I may be wrong - but I dont think there is anything "proprietary" about the Tru-choke thread. Heck - you can even buy the taps for this thread ... and machine the threads into your barrel yourself .... if you were so inclined. Mike Orlen will install Tru-choke threads. Carlson will install Tru-choke threads. Colonial Arms will install Tru-choke threads. Even Briley can install Tru-choke threads - though they prefer to install their own, unique, style of thread. Depending on your barrel OD and ID .... will determine what threads can be machined into your barrel. Go to Mike Orlen's website (http://users.dls.net/~rdouglas/MikeOrlen.pdf) and you will see a Table that shows the different barrel size requirements for different choke threads. Its best if you can figure out ahead of time - what thread style your barrel can accept.

I just had an older Citori trap done and because of barrel size ... the top barrel had to get "thin-wall Tru-choke" .... and I had to have Briley install their thin-wall choke in the bottom barrel ... because it was too thin for Mike Orlen to machine Tru-choke threads. If I knew then what I do know - I would have never bought the gun.

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What then is the purpose of the Truchoke thread? Does it solve some particular problem? I think this might be what Carlsons put in my 20 ga Ithaca 37 barrel due to the thinness at the muzzle. It definitely isn't Winchoke.

16. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Got to agree with Bob. Mike Orlen does great work and his turn around is close to a week. The Trulock(trademark) company makes chokes that will fit any thread design you have so will Colonial. I have Trulock chokes in my O/U and love e'm. Mike Orlen did the thread work for barrels. The ones I have are black oxide and extend out about an inch. Trulocks number is 800-293-9402. Trulock give a 60 day money back guarantee! Mike Orlen's number if you are interested s 413-253-1630

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
thin wall chokes fixed barrel

barrel too thin for invector

carlson thin wall choke tubes
thin wall chokes fixed barrel

tru choke thin wall

tru choke threads

true loc threading on chokes
trulock thin wall chokes