1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding too the Rib and Comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rio, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rio

Rio TS Member

If you have a single barrel gun that shoots 60/40 and you add 1 1/2 inches to the rib.
    Then add 1 1/2 inches to the comb. Will the gun still shoot 60/40 ????

Thanks
    Rio

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

No, a bit lower. About an inch and a half, as a guess.

Neil

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At close range Neil is correct. At normal target distance it will be the same as before the change. HMB

4. Neil Winston

Oh come on, Harry! How's that supposed to work?

Rio, think of it this way. Say you were adding a 2-foot rib and 2-foot comb to the gun. Would you expect it to shoot in the same place?

Neil

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Rio,

How long is your neck? 1 1/2" is quite a bit.

ec90t

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Geometry, angles, things like that make it work. HMB

7. Neil Winston

Oh, geometry, angles, things like that . . .

Hmm - really, I'd hoped for something a little more specific, hmb.

Hogwash.

Neil

8. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I JUST ADDED 5/8" TO MY BERETTA 303 TRAPGUN RIB AND THEN RAISED THE COMB 5/8" AS WELL. ON PAPER AND THEN SHOOTING STRAIGHTAWAYS-- THAT GUN SHOOTS EXACTLY THE SAME!!! NOW I WILL AGREE- YOU'D NEED A SMALL STEPLADDER GET UP ON THAT 11/2" RAISE ( ASSUMING THAT IS MEASURED FROM THE TOP OF THE FLAT RIB SURFACE)

9. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

Answer me this, if the gun shoots 90/10 at 13 yards then what is the pattern percentages at 40 (you cannot just multiply by 3 to get the pattern at 39 yards since the shot is still rising at 39 yards minus the 3 to 4 inches that gravity effects the shot)?

10. Neil Winston

As the linked calculator shows, truthseeker, your question can't be answered since the percent changes as the pattern opens further out.

Typical 75% values from real life might be 8 inches at 13 yards, 28 inches at 40 yards.

That's why "percent" is such nonsense; "inches from point of aim at nn yards" is the only useful way to say it.

Neil

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

now thats a heck of a website!!!

12. Rio

Rio TS Member

So Neil and all you other guys , if I would like to add say 1 inch to the rib, that way I would be able too level my eyes. Then what do I do with the comb so that the gun will still shoot a 60/40 pattern.

Thanks
    Rio

13. Neil Winston

Just make the comb-change a tiny bit more than the rib one.

The change would be so small you can't "make" it that way in advance what with the many things that are going to change when you add that much to the comb. Better to make it higher than needed, then sand and file it down so you see a bit more front bead over the mid, or a bit more rib, or whatever it is you see.

Why do you think it shoots "60/40" now?

Neil

14. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Rio:
    If you go to the Keen Sight website and check in the "traditional bead barrel" section. There is a picture credited to Dennis. That is my gun, if you want to see what a 1.5" addition to a rib looks like. Mine was necessary because I am apparently related somehow to a giraffe and was having trouble getting down to my rib and still seeing out.

d

15. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Rio,

Why not use a stock/pad/butt adjuster to level your eyes and allow you to shoot with your head and neck upright?

Rollin

16. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

If you mount the gun in the same place on your shoulder (and this is key), there will no POI change. The only effect of adding the same rise to comb and rib is your head will be more erect. The gun will shoot in the exact same spot - you haven't changed the geometry - only your head position.

Joe

17. Neil Winston

Joe, I ask you. Say the rib Rio was contemplating was a foot tall. And he wanted to add a foot to the comb. Would it shoot in the same place - or a foot lower? After all, all he's changed is his head position.

Neil

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Neil,

Although you are technically correct, for practical purposes, the vast majority will not notice a 1" shift in POI if we raise the sighting plane by 1".

Essentially, there is no discernible change in POI.

I cannot hold a gun steady enough to see a 1" offset at 30+ yards - where I hit the birds. None of us B shooters can hold well enough, or consistently enough, to notice a 1" difference.

AAA shooters are not the norm. Maybe they can tell if a gun is shooting 1" lower. But, from my limited experience in patterning, they will need to shoot more than a handful of shells - as there are shell to shell variations that could be at least that significant.

Don Verna

19. Neil Winston

No argument from me on that, Don. It won't make any difference. But that's not what was asked

Rio: "Will the gun still shoot 60/40 ????"

And to that the answer remains no.

Remember, people are saying _exactly_ the same (or worse yet that angles will take care of it:

MRDucks: "The gun will shoot in the exact same spot - you haven't changed the geometry - only your head position."

And all I'm doing is pointing out that what they say isn't true. It's not different enough to measure, but it's _not _exactly_ the same.

I'm sort of assuming the Rio is estimating when he quotes 60/40 which really makes the difference a non-issue, nor do I think that adding an inch to a stock and making it fit again is any small task, but it's what he asked and I stand by my answer.

The reason I make my point is that at close-up POI testing, that sort of thing can be detected and will make a difference in the final calculation if you make one, though I don't anymore.

Sure I could have told RIO that he'll never know and that would be true too, but the geometric question is not one you can argue about; the gun will shoot lower.

Neil

Neil

20. Neil Winston

Confusing the issue, Russ? Here's what I wrote:

Rio: "If you have a single barrel gun that shoots 60/40 and you add 1 1/2 inches to the rib. Then add 1 1/2 inches to the comb. Will the gun still shoot 60/40 ????"

Neil: "No, a bit lower. About an inch and a half, as a guess."

How can such a short, straight, and accurate answer be called "confusing the issue?"

It's all this other stuff - call it "revisionist geometry" which is confusing the issue. It's all the people who think they can make something go away by pretending it's not there.

Read Rio's post again. He did not ask if the difference is "much" or "practical" or "whether he should worry about it." He asked a straight question and got a straight answer.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting ribs