1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding pitch to a PFS stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, May 3, 2013.

1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Several folks on this forum have said they added positive pitch to their PFS stock. I have some questions for those of you who have done this:

1. By positive do you mean a spacer that is thicker at the top?

2. Did it reduce muzzle rise? I still have a problem with muzzle rise.

3. What kind of recoil pad are you using? I'm using Pachmayr Decelerator Trap.

4. How much did you drop the recoil pad plate? Mine is set for max drop due to my long neck

2. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have 1/4 pitch spacer and my wife has a 1/2" pitch spacer. The pitch must match you shoulder angle.
    I use a Kick-eez pad trap std.
    I think your problem is with the pad placement all the way down do to your long neck. What will cause the muzzle to jump up.
    I think you need to put the pad back up and maybe 1/2 down. Then raise the comb. Now the next fix is to add a 1/2" to 1" add on rib. This will fix your problem.
    Then gun then will recoil straight back instead of up because you were making it work like a hing instead of stabilizing the gun.

3. thunder

thunder Active Member

tractorboy asked: By positive pitch do you mean a spacer that is thicker at the top? Yes

My pitch spacer is 3/4 inch on top and 1/4 on the bottom this gives me positive pitch. I make my own out of wood and then stain or paint them. I am barrel chested and need that much. Positive pitch will eliminate barrel jump on my setup, everyone is different.

4. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

where can i get the pitch spacers,the fig 8,and the ball that goes between the recoil set screw and the lock screw?

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Vern Brown from PFS has them ready made for the stock ... Contact him ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Pitch can affect muzzle rise during recoil because if the toe of the pad extends too far (not enough "positive" pitch), the gun pivots on the toe during recoil rather than on a higher portion of the pad.

Shotgun barrels rise because the gun's conatct point against the shooter (the stock) is below the axis of the bore (the barrel). When recoil moves the gun to the rear and it is stopped (or slowed) by the shoulder, the muzzle rises - because the pivot point, the butt (any part), is below the barrel.

This means that the drop at the heel affects barrel rise. Lower the recoil pad with a pad adjuster and barrel-2rise will increase just like it can when the pitch on the stock is wrong (does not match the shoulder configuration of the shooter).

Rollin

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I would not worry about muzzle rise--The load is long gone before this happens...

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

But with muzzle-rise comes comb rise. It is the comb rise that can result in facial pain, i.e. "cheek slap".

Rollin