1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adding kerosene to biodiesel

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Anybody else have any trouble using biodiesel in an older tractor? I have a Massey that was built sometime in the 70s with a Perkins diesel. It used to be an easy starter in warm weather or in the winter with the block heater plugged in for an half hour.

Ever since they came out with biodiesel about the only way it will start is a lot of cranking or a shot of starter fluid. I don't use the tractor much and I think the problem is the biodiesel gets old.

It has been suggested that I use straight kerosene or mix kerosene with the biodiesel.

I can't find straight diesel anyway local, just the bio crap. Will any of the adds like "Sea Foam" help the bio from going to crap in a few months?

Yesterday I was in woods cutting firewood. I usually pile up the twigs and small stuff and burn them. I had a hard time getting a match to set that biodiesel off after pouring a little of it on the pile. Finally had to throw a little gas on the pile, to get a fire going.

Thanks

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Biodiesel is a magnet for water and algae to grow in. The only thing you will do by diluting the fuel with kerosene is lowering the cloud point. It's a good idea when your not using the tractor a lot is to keep the fuel tank as full as possible to avoid condensation. My John Deere has a 3 cylinder Yannmar in it and I have no trouble starting it in the winter with 5% bio, If your going to play around with ether it's a good idea to disconnect the glow plug relay before cranking over with ether, it has been to break rings.

3. warren

warren Member

Try using WD40 instead of starting fluid it's not nearly as hard on the engine. Where do you live where you can't buy diesel that's downright wierd.

warren

4. ctreay

ctreay Member

We had a VW diesel and in the winter we used to run 50/50 diesel/kerosene so it would start below 0 deg.

ctreay

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

In very cold weather area, fuel suppliers convert to 50/50 or 60/40 diesel/kero in the winter. Stabil makes an additive for diesel. I use it in my JD and use the Stabil with the additive for ethanol in my gas engines. You MUST use it in chain saws and small engines. This bio-diesel and ethanol is going to ruin everything!! It's another "change" we can do without. Larry Evans

6. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

One of the other pluses in the Bio-diesel arguement is the loss of mpg average from the use of the bio-blends. I know a guy who tests fuel and he says the bio blends are always way over what the pump percentage says on the sticker. He tested a batch of gas with ethanol and it was supposed to be 10.% and it was 22%. Toolmaker is correct about the algae growth in bio-blends and there is a couple anti-algae growth products out there to use one of them is Bio-Kleen, it's an antifungal growth killer. I use Howes with about every tankfull to keep the algae down, algae grows in diesels and has been a problem for many years when one leaves a machine half full and lets it set for a period of time. In the winter time the fuel you get is a blend of some percentage of one and two fuels in diesel grade. It also wouldn't hurt to change fuel filters on your tractor. In the winter time keep a bottle of 911 handy and that stuff is a miracle product. I used it with ice in the fuel in the filter bowl and the truck started just like the bottle said it would. Good luck with your tractor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.