1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding grain to wood

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

Aware of anyone who can refinish a stock and add grain to it??..I used to know a guy who would do it with india ink, and also a chemical reaction for a more gallery look, but not doing it anymore..Anyone know who might do this or have some examples?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Black Magic Marker ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I may be confused but why not buy some wood with the grain you desire?? You can paint a VW the color of a Ferarri but its still a VW.

Matt

4. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Matt... 'ya mean you don't want to see "extra wood" on a Mossberg? I agree.

5. englishupland

englishupland Member

A restock on this particular double would be about $8K

Not gunna happen...gotta be some people out there that do this..Probalby similar to "antiquing" furiture.

6. grntitan

$8K for a restock sounds high to me even on a SxS. But hell i may be wrong.

You realize if that double is that valuable you will completey degrade it by just doing a paint job? To each his own i guess. That being said, there was some threads about stock painting here recently. Try a search on here for stock painting.

Matt

7. romie

romie Active Member

I am like you if I can enhance the wood that would be great. I amsure there are some tricks to the trade curious to see.

8. englishupland

englishupland Member

This is a english sidelock so re-stocking is quite high..I'm not ultra concerned about value..I want to enjoy it, and have it look to my taste, not save it for the next guy...Doubht I would part with this in the forseable future anyhow..

Here is a sight I found...I was looking for sometihng like this, but more examples, and other guys that did it, or had experience with it

http://www.larsongunart.com/

There used to be a guy who "dipped" them as well..He started with camo dips but then moved into woodgrain and it looked fantastic, and was fairly priced..He got so busy he is on a hiatus on new work for a while, and I'd like to get this done to have it back by summer.

Thanks

9. grntitan

Try this site i provided above. They do the dipping and have the wood grains. Not cheap but alot cheaper than $8K. Good luck

Matt

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Bill's right. They make those markers for furniture too and in several shades of brown. It's an artform and if done wrong it can be really cheezy looking. Make sure you plan it out good first. Good luck.

11. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

There are a few masters of the art of taking a Grade Perazzi stock (butt-ugly) and turning it into a beautiful stick.... the one I know, who's retired now, used to call it Indian Walnut and he was a true master.

12. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Try searcing on "grain." We just talked about this 5 days ago.

13. hdskip

hdskip Member

Do a search for faux painting.

14. racer

racer TS Member

Search the internet. I've seen a stock finishing site that showed how to make a stock look better. I'll try to find it- Dan

15. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

DB BILL I still have one of Paul's stocks although this one was not drawn in and is just the regular grain. Phil S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

add grain to wood