1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adding color to wood on shot gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by copper, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

A few years ago I bought a Voli made for German market OU hand engraved side plates greener cross bolt solid rib for a hunting field gun. My question is wood was blond noT MUCH GRAIN So I stripped and redid used a mix of stain to get some grain look going. The wood was almost white stripped I was wondering any way to add color after oil finished without stripping again . Dave

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Aniline dyes are most commonly used to stain wood - they are water soluble and thus will work their way down into the wood (oil based stains will tend to sit on the surface of the wood only - a slight scratch and the color is gone).

If I recall correctly you live in NE PA - I would hit a Micheal's Art Supply store - I suspect they have the dyes you are looking for (you might pay a bit more - but they have a large selection).

Don't be afraid to mix two or three colors together to get the final look you desire.

Typically these are powders - I use a bottled water bottle to mix them - when happy with the final result I label the bottle and put it on a shelf - If I ever need it again (repairs, refinish) I already have it made.

This being said... In theory you could over-lay finishes with different colors in it (think Minwax stains). The problem I see is that it will cover equally - no more stain on one area - less in another (based on the density of the wood), this is how stains affect bare wood - the stains penetrate differently based on the growth rings (density) of the wood.

3. high 2

high 2 Member

About all I have figured out trying to darken light wood is it will only take so much color and that`s it. Any more and it has to be built up on the surface. Good luck.

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Be sure to add just a tad of black to the color.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/shooting/skunkgrade/?action=view&current=skunk1.jpg" target="_blank"> th_skunk1.jpg </a>

Foggy

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Woodcrafters has every color of tint in the rainbow. You can make your stock lime green if you want. www.woodcrafters.com

By adding the color tint you want to tung oil or tru oil you can drift the color towards where you want to end up. E darker, you can't really tint to go lighter.

This technique is useful if you have a stock and fore end that are different colors and you want them to match. I have a Marlin rifle with mis-matched wood I am playing with.

If you want to go MUCH darker then the best Idea is to sand the existing finish off, and start over.

These tints work in either water or oil based finishes. The Woodcrafter Company and Stores also offer guidance in using the products.

Good luck, this takes patience to execute.

Randy

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have had the best results by staining the wood and then applying the finish over the stained wood. You can really bring out the grain on a blond stock by lightly scorching the bare wood with a butane torch. Just a little will do a lot. The the wood can be stained about any color you like.

You already have a finish on the wood so about all you can do is color more finish and keep the stain above the wood in the finish. My results with this have not been satisfactory. Stripping a stock is not a big deal and that is the only way I would do it.

Pat Ireland

7. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

The "skunk grade" M-12 lives! Nice to see Foggy is still out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.