1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding a rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Schmidt Racing, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schmidt Racing

Schmidt Racing TS Member

My son shoots a BT-99 & can't get his head low enough to see down the rib. Therefore he has to aim way below the rock in order hit it. Has anyone used the Add-a-rib that is advertised on this website??? This is my father-in-laws's gun & I don't want to do anything permanent to the gun. Or does anyone have another/better idea to correct this problem?? My knowledge in this sport is very limited, so any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Dick

2. Powderkeg

Powderkeg TS Member

Hi Dick,

I do have one I put on my Beretta. They are easy to install and are removeable. They are attactive and well made. Go on to their web sight and they will guide you through the process to determine the proper heigth needed and how to measure and order. I hope this helps.

Noel

3. Raystownbob

Raystownbob Active Member

I recently put an Adjust-A-Rib on a set of 20 ga. Blaser barrels so I could use it on my Super Sport and I am very pleased with it. The Adjust-A-Rib gives me flexibility and as previously mentioned they are removeable. Check out the info on their site and then call and talk to Joe. Since I wasn't sure what height I needed I discussed it with him and he was very helpful.

4. Hank55

Hank55 Member

I recently added one to a BT-99 and it looks like it came that way originally. Make sure that you have an adjustable comb though, even the lowest profile rib that they make will raise your line of sight quit a bit. You'll have to make adjustments to the comb and shoot it before using it in competition because it gives you a different gun all together.

5. Schmidt Racing

Schmidt Racing TS Member

To those of you that have the Add-a-Rib...do you have any problems with moving around or leaning to one side if the gun is laid on its side for a while. I know it is held on with 3M tape, and am curios if that causes any problems.
    Thanks again, Dick

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

You have to raise the comb also, like Hank said, but you can use cheek-eeze pads for that. They come in different thicknesses. Bill

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Get a piece of balsa wood from a hobby shop, spray paint it black and tape it to the rib with black tape wapping it around the existing rib. Before you do this lay the wood strip on top the existing rib. It's good practice to start with wood higher trimming it until your son has a good sight picture. Use a couple of straight or push pins for beads gluing them to the wood.

Once you get the rib set up where your son is centering targets, theatrically he could shoot the gun without changing this set up saving the expense of an add on rib. If you wish to add a rib then you have correct height to create a dupilcate. There would be no need for an adjustable comb if you go through this exercise.

Surfer

8. Raystownbob

Raystownbob Active Member

That is what I did to experiment before I ordered the rib except I didn't even paint it and used masking tape to hold it on. Of course my buddies gave me a hard time so I just shot it that way for a few months. I didn't put beads on either and did not have any put on the Adjust-A-Rib I got since I shoot better without them.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Are you sure he even needs an additional rib. You don't have to sight down a rib to shoot trap - in fact you shouldn't. Experienced trap shooters shoot guns that shoot high and some very high. New shooters often tend to wait until the
    bird is dropping before they shoot it. Even though he feels he has to shoot under the bird, is he shooting good scores? Has he settled into a good shooting form? The gun may shoot too high because his form is bad.

10. Schmidt Racing

Schmidt Racing TS Member

dickgtax,
    No, I'm not sure he needs a rib...the only thing that I am sure of is that when you pull the trigger, it goes BANG. I am a novice at this myself, and when I shoot the gun, I can't get a good line of sight and have to shoot way under the rock. Not that that means anything. The gun does have a monte carlo stock on it. His scores aren't real good and I don't think his form is that bad. I just thought that adding a rib would make it more comfortable to shoot and give better scores. Thanks everyone for all the help, Dick

11. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

Built this BT for a vet that shoots from a wheel chair. He was having just about the same problem. I did have to raise the comb.
    Bruce

bullettheturtle_2010_2304219.jpg

bullettheturtle_2010_2304220.jpg

bullettheturtle_2010_2304221.jpg

12. Schmidt Racing

Schmidt Racing TS Member

Wow..sharp looking gun. What did you make the rib out of & is it the same height from one end to the other? It looks taller in the rear.

13. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

Rib is alum. black anodize with 3 tiny screws counter sunk to hold it. The taper was measured off a krieghoff trap special top single to give him a better sight view shooting out of the chair. Had to raise the comb and mold it in. Shoots great for him.

Bruce

14. Slewcity

Slewcity Member

DeVault Industries does a Delrin add on that is removable
    they did one for my Krieghoff and will do any gun
    fast and perfect for about $350
    very professional outfit

15. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Keen Sights is also a tremendous resource if you need to add a rib. Also, I presume that you are either dealing with a fixed comb or one that has already been lowered to its minimum point, but if not, remember that the comb could come down to help too.

Vicki at Keen Sights can also talk you thru anything you would need.

d

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Call Add-A-Rib and talk to Joe or the owner, Ray Braun.

WW

17. BENCHREST

BENCHREST Member Supporting Vendor

First off thank you for the compliments guys, to answer some concerns the 3M automotive double sided tape is so strong that whenever someone asks me and I have my gun I will go over to the rack and grab the gun by the rib and pick it up. It has been on there for over 2 years now. Schmidt if he is shooting under the bird and don't have a adjustable comb, maybe you should find out if the gun fits him for length of pull? As for our ribs they are CNC made out aircraft aluminum and are powder coated with a non glare finish, and the best thing is there is no waiting. I have the largest inventory of ribs in the world and in most cases I can ship same day. Adjustable ribs $199, standard ribs $129, and mini 16" ribs $159. thank you Joe

18. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

It would take an act of congress to pull off the Add-A-Rib attached to this K gun barrel. Well, lets face it, that was a bad analogy as those clowns can't get anything done. But you get the point.

docbombay_2011_0201116.jpg

I have all of my guns equipped (two K guns and one Kolar) with Add-A-Ribs. I must have a very high rib due to an eye condition in my left eye. I did my homework and looked at every product out there. It was no contest. For quality and price the Add-A-Rib wins every time.

You receive incredible customer service from Ray and Joe. The only downside I have found is tolerating Joe's New York yankee accent. After every conversation I have a strange urge to watch reruns of The Soprano's.

19. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Joe, why no 34" Add-A-Ribs?

20. BENCHREST

BENCHREST Member Supporting Vendor

Tracy, in over 2 years no one ever asked for one. What brand gun do you have and what length barrel is on it? When you get a chance give me a call at 631 319 6959.. Thank you Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

add a rib