1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adding a rib? problems? Concerns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

So thinking of adding a higher rib to gun and have some questions for those that have or have high rib guns. I assume there are visual and comfort reasons to do so,does it also help with head lifting from stock(also considering having a piece of velcro surgically attached to cheek! ) but are there any concerns that arise or problems with the higher rib gun? Canting, twisting? Does it effect angle targets more? Next is what is best way to determine how much to add? The comb needs to be raised equally I am told, so finding longer posts may be an issue as well? Would like to add an inch and shoot it before investing money etc to find out I didn't like it. Thanks for your input.

2. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

others on here have said to try adding a balsa wood rib(you make) to try it and see before buying a nice manufactured rib.

kevin

3. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Ya, and I saw the Delrin rib that looks pretty cool, just have to figure out how to build up the comb to try it out, I don't have enough length on the posts to raise it up that high.

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Most (not all) posts come in longer lengths if needed. Unless you need some unusually long ones, they are easy to find. Tron, DeVault, etc. are good places to start looking.

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Depending on the height & rib material,it will add weight to the bbl which changes swing dynamics. Watch out for balsa in this regard. Also there is a "perceived" quality of the way the bbl/rib looks to the eye before & after. Even 1 eye this can be evident. I added a 3/4" high taper rib to my early TM1 non taper. Added 6 oz & completely threw the swing & feel off for me. Make sure your comb has enough height. I am having a much lower taper rib built. will see what happens.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Also consider that the taller the rib, the easier to knock off the barrel. Especially those held on with tape or glues.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Most of my Add a short rib are 5/8" to 3/4"... That's more than enough for most shooters... The black silicon will not come off easily.. no need to baby it.. When it';s time to remove it.. a piece of music wire will cut it loose.. Be sure to wrap your hands good so you don't cut them... Mike

8. mooneymissle

mooneymissle Member

PBB: Good to see the return of your helpful posts! God bless!!!!!!!!!!!

9. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I installed a 3/4 inch add-a-rib on my older BT99 and increased the stock by the same amount. The rib is nice and was a snap to install. I replaced the original white front bead with a hiviz. The gun patterns like it did before the changes. I appreciate the added weight and, particularly, the improved level of comfort. I shot 4 squads today and am pleased that that old sore neck is gone because I'm no longer scrunching down on the stock. For me, this was a good purchase and installation.

I started with the balsa wood rib and foam/tape on the stock - thought about it for a few weeks before spending the money. The total cost was around $365 for the rib, stock work, hardware, and shipping to and from New York. I'd do it again if/when I get another gun that has a low rib. But, why would I do that?

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.