1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding a mag extention to a Rem 870 express

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dbl Auto, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Anybody have any experience adding a 2 shot magazine extender on a Remington 870 express? My buddy bought the 870 express and then later decided to go with a mag extender. What he didn't know (and I didn't either) is that it isn't as easy as he thought. At the end of the mag tube, the 870 has a detent at 12 o'clock and one at 6 o'clock. You can put the mag extender on, but these detents prevent it from being operational. Brownell's makes a tool to pound these out, but I fear that this could damage the brazing of the mag tube to the receiver. Others have videos on youtube showing that they drill out the detents and the polish out the inside of the tube. This seems to me to be the better way to go. Has anyone here done either method? Thanks, Doug Allison

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I have seen them drilled out on Wingmasters and Expresses with no downfalls. I would say using a dremel would work nicely as well cause you could polish it with the same tool.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Better off buying a used 870 and building it. Or see if anyone has a Mossberg 590 left in stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.