1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Added weight to stock now getting recoil in face?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazziboy1, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

I added 12oz to my stock with a brass tube filled with lead. Gun is a pleasure to shoot, except for the recoil i am taking in the face now. I was hoping that the weight would get rid of the face recoil but it seems to have made it worse. Any sugestions? thanks Steve

2. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Where did you put the 12 ounces? If it's all in the butt, you've made a tremendous shift in balance, no? if the gun is now very muzzle light it's more likely to pivot up under recoil. If so, it should also have changed your timing dramatically, making the muzzle seem much quicker to the target. If the goal was to make it heavier to absorb recoil you should split the weight more or less evenly front and back to maintain some semblance of the original balance and handling.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Steve, you have a gun fit problem, not a weight problem. Make the comb paralell to the rib and check the pitch too! My P gun weighs 11#-5 ounces and I shoot it very well! My hunting gun is balanced for carrying but my trap gun is set up to alleviate pounding recoil!!

Hap

4. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Sounds like a pitch problem. See a stockfitter

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Another vote for pitch. Marc

6. ABH

ABH Member

Back out the top screw of your recoil pad. Put 2 quarters (taped together)between the stock and pad at the very top of the wood. Retighten the screw and shoot your normal loads. If comb slap has stopped, you need a tapered spacer between the stock & pad.

ART H.

7. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Thanks for all the good ideas. Im going to try a pitch spacer tomorrow and will report back if it helped or not. Steve

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Yes you need a pitch spacer. 1/4" should do it but if you go more then that go 1/8" at a time. John

9. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

If you have an adjustable comb you could try raising the rear and lowering the front 1/16" or so at a time.

Ron

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Same thing happened to me. Pitch spacer fixed it.

11. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Add weight to barrel to get balance back to what it felt like befor adding weight to stock.

12. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

More pitch,period!!

13. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

More pitch, PERIOD? You can't change the pitch significantly enough to affect face slap without having to adjust the comb height as well. At least, not if you expect to hit targets with the same regularity.

14. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Added a pitch spacer and that helped, but i had to also raise the rear of the comb 1/16" to get rid of the face recoil. thanks for all the help Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap gun is recoiling in the face