1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Added an PW Autodrive to my 366

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by njwoodworker, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

Last week I added s/n 0004h to my 366 loader s/n 246. It had loaded about 25k loads on it before I stopped shooting. Never had a problem with it. Fast forward 19 years.
    The quality of the pw was great and needed 1 adjustment to shorten the throw. a
    Then the fun began.
    With all the new steel based shells and new primers I learned my old friend developed some digestion problems.
    I loaded some gun club hulls one at a time just to practice the sequence and remember how it works. No problems.
    Next came the auto mode with a foot switch. After 10 minutes the only practice I was getting was with my shop vac. Mostly a lack of co-ordination. Two hours later 4-5 hundred an hour. I loaded that back in the day but after a right shoulder operation I just cant pull the handle for hours.
    I'm suprised this combo is not more popular.
    Dan Gill

2. Squeal

Squeal Member

How does the PW Shell feeder work? I am thinking of getting both.

3. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

Squeal,
    Sorry I can't answer that. I only added the electric drive to stop pulling the handle. I still have to simultaneously place shell and wad in the hornady and then tap the foot switch.
    Dan

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

The shell feeder works great. I have had mine for about 7 years and would not want to be without it. It's amazing how fast you go through components when you don't have to take your hand off the handle. I too am having shoulder problems and considering adding the electric drive. JRM

5. Squeal

Squeal Member

thats what I was thinking. Not having to remove your hand from the handle to pick up a hull would probably save double the time.

Thanks

6. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

According to Bruce from PW the cycle rate is 900 per hour. I think for us humans 750 plus is possible. What i discovered with the hornady's digestion problem was my index plate and index pawl had a few "warts". Over the years a primer would occasionally tilt in the prime station and the plate would stop. Pulling the handle would cause the primer punch to hit the plate and bend it ever so little. Also the index pawl became sharpened to a point and would stick in the groove once in a while. I ordered a new plate and filed the sharp edges on the pawl and it is smooth as silk now. These small issues didn't matter when using the handle at a 250 per hr rate. at 3 times that speed the timing is absolutely critical and a small misalignment gave me the opportunity to practice with the shopvac.
    Dan

7. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

nj. Be nice if you could show a picture of your setup. It sounds interesting. Post-2

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Squeal- The PW shell feeder works very well. But, if you use an electronic/hydraulic system, the shell feeder will not speed up things. When I use my PW hydraulic I will have 2-6 wads in my left hand, 2-5 shells in my right hand and use my right foot to make the press go around.

Pat Ireland

9. Squeal

Squeal Member

Thanks, I am on a budget, might have to go with the shell feeder first.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have both and I do not recommend that set up.

The case feeder is the least expensive way to increase your production rate and you will be faster than using the electric drive. You MUST STOP when a case gets cockeyed on the seating post and you feel resistance as the head moves down to resize. Jammed cases are not fun.

With the electric drive, you do not "feel" the case is starting to jam and you will crush the case. This will likely break the die access plate (about $7 part of plastic - so have 3 or four spares). In extreme cases, you will need to take off the case feeder parts attached to the head to get the mess cleared.

I have loaded up to 700 per hour with ONLY the case feeder and once fired hulls. But 500-600 is more typical. When I added the electric feed I wound up at about 600 per hour - as I can pull the handle faster than the electric drive cycles.

I have a shoulder/neck problem so I am keeping the electric drive and selling the case feeder. If anyone wants it, send me a PM It lists for $360 and I will sell it for $250 plus shipping. I just had it at PW and they did not find anything wrong with it. If there is no interest here, I will list it on Ebay after the foot switch for the electric drive comes in.

Don Verna

11. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

Some of you may remember I have been away from the game a while. Indulge my ignorance, is the last part of this thread refering to a shell feeder by pw suitable for a hornady 366 loader?

I am working on the pics that were requested! I have to remove the spolar from the reloading bench to get some decent shots.

Dan

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dan- The PW shell feeder will only work on PW (and perhaps Spolar) machines.

Pat Ireland

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I believe in the above posts, those who use both the electric-driv and shell feeder are not 366 users, but P/W users.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a case feeder for the Hornaday 366.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.