1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Add on's?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff BT-99, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Adding an adjustable comb, butt plate, rib or such to a gun adds little value. This seems to be the belief of many and holds true most of the time.

However if you buy a gun new adding these options always drives the price up and usually has a better resale value.

On another note I'm trying to sell my BT-99 which has Morgan pad only. Many have asked about and adj comb and stated if it had one they would buy it. Maybe this is just an excuse but I see the same gun selling for more with an adjustable comb. Seems if it did have an adj comb it would sell quicker and for more money.
  2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Southeast Michigan - O/S Detroit
    Handi Cap - I think that holds true for any after-market changes done to a gun. In another thread, one of the writers mentioned that he put $1,000 into a $600 gun, and he still had a $600 gun. I just looked at Browning's parts catalog, and it shows that the BT-99 adjustable comb stock costs $648.50, and the coventional stock costs $317.25 when purchased as parts. Its almost like a car. If you get the interior convenience group, it may retail for $1,000, but would only get a few hundred dollars for trade in purposes. Once, I added a stereo am/fm tape player to my Aerostar. When I traded the van a few months later, it added nothing to the trade in. The dealer said that as long as it had something in the radio hole, it didn't add any value.

My son recently decided to buy a used trap gun. He ended up with a used Remington 11-87 trap gun. It had a Money Maker rib attached, and yet that option which goes for $365.00, carried only a $50-$100 premium over similar used guns. I know that this is anecdotal, but it does illustrate the point.

I agree, that an adjustable comb would bring more money, and probably sooner, but that's how the market works.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dec 9, 2006
    When you upgrade factory it tends to be worth more on retail not resale end. Its like putting a 396 big block in a corvette that originally came with a 350. A factory installed 396 will always be worth more than a later install of the same condition. I personally prefer guns with a quality adj comb installed and a adjustable pad even better. New retail on BT99 1200.00 price to add aftermarket comb 200 adjustable pad 150.00 RadII recoil reducer 400 or simular add on feature. Guns are like cars loose about 20% once you leave the show room. to get the best return on your piece. You need to find th person who wants what you got. When ever you alter OEM specs you loose.
  4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Handi Cap.........If you're REAL serious about trapshooting, and assuming you have the shooting ability to make it all worthwhile, then you need to do all you can to improve and fine-tune your gun. Most factory guns don't come with enough bells and whistles. It has to be like YOU need it to be for YOUR shooting. This includes but isn't limited to Porting,lenghtening the forcing cones, recoil reduction, trigger tuning, improving the gun grip, improving the rib,balance,improving gunfit, adjusting gun weight,etc. and etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.