1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Add on short ribs on front part of barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

One of the pictures on here a few days back of a PFS for sale also showed the gun with a high rib on the front part of the barrel. The picture looked like the high rib extended from the muzzle back about 1/3 the length of the barrel. DO any of you shoot guns with these type ribs and if so how do you like it? What advantages have you found with it?

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The short ribs have a specialized purpose - for Olympic double trap.
    The purpose is to have a very high point of aim while being able to see the
    bird coming out of the trap.

It doesn't seem to have much application for American trap, even trap doubles.
    The subject has been discussed extensively on this forum, especially by the
    one of our most popular members, who we lost to cancer last year.

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I'll bet Joe Ljutic was thinking the same exact thing when he was shooting the Space gun and breaking all those targets. LOL

Ajax

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

search for "MX2005SR" or "short rib" and there have been a couple good threads on this subject. PerazziBigBore did a lot of experimentation with a short rib and had posted a few pics of his home made ribs. IIRC, with his eye issues he had mentioned, the short rib worked well for him but in general, you can't generalize that a short rib will work for everyone. I for one like stepped/ramped/high ribs for any type of shooting give my long neck so if you have a longish neck, it may be worth to check out and experiment with.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think MIA posted one on here recently ...

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

There are a few shooters shooting ATA targets with short high ribbed guns. Perazzi introduced a single barrel trap gun with a high short rib at this years shot show. This gun was born through experimentation with a couple of one eyed shooters who were having trouble picking up the target coming out of the house. The short ribbed barrels proved beneifical to these shooters who are also shooting O/U short ribbed guns for doubles.

I am a one eyed shooter and own a short ribbed O/U that I have shot both singles, yardage and doubles. For me, the jury is still out as I have not invested enough time to determine if will be the shooting system for me long term. I can say the short high ribbed single barreled gun is amazing in terms of picking up the target as it launches from the house, even more so for a two eyed shot.

Short ribbed guns are not new, Al Ljutic was mounting high short ribs on a number of his guns back in the 70's. Jerri White best known for release triggers made clamp on's during the same period. Shooters then like now are afraid to try anything new, they may loose their cool (Looking, Being Cool) if they don't do well right out of the box. Like anything you must invest to gain a return.

Short rib's are like unsingle's, there not for everyone as the greater view for some is distracting and they can't stay focused on the target, for others it's their panacea. If you have a chance to shoot a short rib, take it, you may be surprised........

7. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Building an experimental one on a 1100 as we speak!

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Short ribs? I prefer my ribs on the side...

-Gary

[​IMG]

9. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Righty with left eye dominant? You win for the craziest rib, certainly never seen that before.

10. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Here's a couple of pictures of short ribs.

Tomas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Who makes these ribs?

12. MilCon

MilCon Member

Bridgeshoot.net, they ain't cheep
    Another alternative is Add a Rib .com , I think they are listed in the vendor section.
    Ken

13. Smiley

Smiley Member

Ring Vicki Keen of Keensights and tell her what you want plus measurements and it will be made

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Go to addarib.com and check out their adjustable models, they make short versions as well.

Surfer

15. open choke

open choke TS Member

+1

For add-a-rib.com

Ray and joe are great

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

An old idea that gets "discovered" occasionally. If it's such a great idea it would be the norm and we would all have one, we don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.