1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

add on rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddeath, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

I need some advice. I shoot trap with a Winchester select energy trap gun 32" barrel. For me this gun is tricky to shoot. I must get the gun in just the right spot for me to shoot it well this means high on my shoulder. The previous owner added an aluminum plate to the butt and attached a recoil pad to it. Basically a non adjustable, adjusted pad. He has the pad dropped about an inch and has a slight cant in it. Even with the pad dropped an inch I still need to hold the gun high on my shoulder. I put the bottom of the butt pad on my shoulder right where the the center should be. I was thinking instead of trying to raise the gun even higher with an adjustable butt pad, how about an add on rib. I saw the prices on these and it just seems like they are way over priced.

Here are the questions;
    Does the add on rib make sense given what I have explained?

Can I just to order square stock aluminum and use that?

If I use square stock aluminum how do I keep my POI?

Will the square stock need to be angle cut to keep the same POI?

Thanks,

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

sell and gun, and buy one that fits your style of shooting.

just my opinion based on experience.

regards, and good shooting,

dave

3. folothru

folothru Member

here`s the scoop : if you dont want to change the poi what ever you raise the rib height raise the comb : i picked up a piece of al 3/8 x 1/2 and had a friend mill it to 3/8 x 3/8 used rtv to hold the rib in place super glued a high vis sight on it ........but before you spend all this money go get a piece of wood they sell it at lowes or hobby shops the size think you need .paint it black and try different heights if you end up needed a rib that is tapered to get gun to shoot higher call the boys at add a rib or stock position systems and they will fix you up .....a hint only go high enough so that you can see the end of gun without taking your eye off the target

4. rrose

rrose TS Member

I say give the add on rib a try, many people have used them for years before thy got to be as common as they are now. To try it before you buy one go to a craft store and buy severl different thicknesses of balsa wood strips. Tape or
    rubber band the different sizes on top of your rib and practice munting and dry firing with the rib in place. You can put stick pin heads on the wood strips to uses as site beads if you want or use it with out.If you do not have a wall chart just put something on the wall to use as a stationary target and swing to that spot as if it were a clay target in flight.
    I like and have used add on ribs for 6 years on various guns and it make a huge difference to well well and how fast I see the target becasue my head is more upright with the taller rib.
    just my 2cents randy

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you add a rib so you can lower the pad in your shoulder you're going to need to raise the comb to reach your face. That will require either an adjustable comb or adding some stick on material to build up the
    comb. The rib by itself won't help.
    You're looking at adding $350 to $ 400 to a gun that probably cost you about
    $1,100-$1,200. The Select Energy is a good gun, but by the time you're done
    you'll have a lot of money tied up in it.

6. BUFFALO SOLDIER

BUFFALO SOLDIER Member

Here my two cents worth of feedback I add a rib to my Browning XT (5/8) after patterning the gun I shot my local league 49/50 went to a ATA shoot 3 days later 98 twice at single and 98 and 94 at my HCP not bad for one simple change, you dicide.

7. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Thanks for all the great information. I did forget to mention that it does have an adjustable comb. So I am half way there. I will go to lowes and grab some hobby wood to experiment with. Once I figure out what works the best I will re-visit the make it myself or pay debate. I one advantage I have is that I am friends with a machinist. So he can mill it to make it look nice and the drilling and taping will also be easy for him to do.

Thanks Again,
    Craig

8. Buck72

Buck72 Member

I am also considering an add on rib due to the monte carlo style stock is too high and I have to really scrunch down on the gun to stack my beads,my rib is a half inch high from the factory so I made a wood rib that was 5/8" high by 3/8" wide and I glued bb gun bbs to the rib to mock the front and mid bead and it worked very well,so now when I shoulder my gun my head is in the right position and I can see more of the sight picture and that is want you want,I have called add a rib and talked to the guy and he was very helpful and patient with me and I look forward to doing business with him.My only question is will my point of impact change? I will have to go to the pattern board with my mock add a rib and find out? I will let you guys know what happens when I do.

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

If you decide to make it yourself consider Delrin rather than aluminum. It is easier to work with and McMaster-Carr has it. About $20 including shipping for enough to make a 3/8" wide rib the last time I ordered it.

10. rrose

rrose TS Member

Criag
    If you are gong to do it yourself take a minute and look at www.keensights.com and see their instructions for mounting it. All you need is common silicone adhesive. I suggest the black color but clear works also.
    randy

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Your point of impact lowered when you put on the mock rib. You do not have to stack the beads - in fact your gun may be shooting too low when you do. Many shooters see space between the bead and a lot of the rib to get their gun to
    shoot as high as they like. Trap guns should shoot high.

12. Buck72

Buck72 Member

Well my gun does shoot low too low for me and the add a rib will help me to position my head in a more comfortable upright position then I will have to deal with the very low point of impact so I need to spend more time at the patterning board and put more space between the beads and see what happens.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If you decide on an add-on rib, I have to say you should do yourself a favor and click the above site.

Ray Braun has some tremendous aluminum ribs, and a ton of other stuff. It is very reasonably priced, and he's a helluva guy to deal with. He's a helluva great guy to talk to as well.

I have nothing but good things to say about him and his stuff.

Whiz

14. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

took the first step yesterday. Followed the instructions by Neil Winston on the 13yard patterning of my shot gun the way it is. Then I bought hobby wood to try different rib heights (forgot to mention that all the wood is usually warped). Built a 1/2" height rib from the wood and added shotgun sights I had laying around. With my butt pad 1" low I can now fit it in my shoulder comfortably. I have contacted my machinist friend to see if he wants to help. Next I will take out my newly made wooden rib and pattern it to see if I can match it to my originals by raising the comb. I will keep ya all in the loop on my project.

Thanks for the input.
    Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ad a trap rib
add on ribs for trap gun
add on ribs for trap guns

add on shotgun rib

adding height to shotgun rib
balsa wood shotgun rib

trap shotgun rib add on