1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Add on Rib or Adjustible Butt Pad

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old 870, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old 870

Old 870 TS Member

I shoot a 90-T low rib and I have been wanting to get my head in a more upright position. The way I see it there are two options, I can put an add on rib on the gun or add an adjustible butt pad. My buddy, who is a AA shooter, says I should use the adjustible butt pad and raise the whole gun up. I was thinking I should add an add on rib and keep the gun down and only raise the comb. What do you think?

Brian

2. victoria K

victoria K Member

Hi Brian

If your wanting to see what it would feel and look like to have a taller add-on rib on your gun just get some balsa wood (found at most hobby stores) buy a couple sticks in different heights and tape it on top of your rib. (we used electrical tape) You could even get some of the pins that have the white head on top found in most sewing departments like in Walmart cut most of the pin off leaving enough to push it down into the balsa wood, using them for beads and go shoot it.

If I can be of any help just give me a shout.

Vicki Keen
    661-873-7162

3. C H S

C H S TS Member

Raising the comb will raise the gun's impact point; in other words, it will shoot higher and you will have to point lower under the targets to hit them. If the relationship between the comb and the rib is good for you now, the answer appears to be that you should use the adjustable butt plate to move the whole gun up.

Andy

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Brian,

Technically, installing an add-on rib and raising the comb, will lower the POI a distance equal to the additional height of the rib.

To a great extent, the choice is yours. Adding height to the rib and the comb will allow a more upright neck and head position as would an adjustable butt pad. With an add-on rib, an adjustable comb is necessary, as you know.

You may be limited however, by the practicality of the additional rib height you seek. An adjustable pad can be lowered well over an inch whereas an add-on rib that is over an inch tall is not very practical.

Something else that might help would be to raise the height your gun mount to put the heel of your pad even with the top of your shoulder (where it should be, anyway.)

Rollin

5. Rollin Oswald

Shootlow makes a valid point.

Rollin

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Just shoot,

I had the same problem a few months ago. I made the descision to install an add-on rib onto my gun. The best descision that I could have made. I had Scott Hyde (Hydeal) make me a 3/8" HPI add-on rib to my spec's for my BPS trap. It was a good investment for me.

On the other hand, you could find a HPAR 90t and see how it fits. Since the rib is taller it would give you the same look as a add-on rib installed on your low rib. I hope this makes sense to you.

ec90t

7. Rollin Oswald

brownk80,

Concerned parents would have named their kid Steve or John or even Roland and not Rollin.

I tried to remember a great joke about dyslexics but I just can't remember it -something about a dog, God, a dyslexic and insomnia.

Thank you for the plug for the book. I sincerely appreciate it.

Rollin

8. mike31z

mike31z Member

There have been a lot of good idea's posted here.<br>
    I still shoot with a add on rib that's made out of wood and in the last 3 month I have made three or 4 changes to it. and I am close now. <br><br>
    The first is determine where you the target is when you shoot at it's <br>
    beginning and still on it's up wards flight<br>
    Mid way and still on an up wards flight<br>
    When it is has reached it's peak and leveling out prior to decent.<br>
    Each area need a different Point of Impact(POI)<br>
    Then You have to figure where you gun POI is and Can you shoot fast enough equal to your POI.<br>
    Most guns are not set up to shoot at the peak / level point.<br>
    Find someone with a laser bore sight ($100.00) and see where your POI is at the yardage you normally shoot. <br>
    I made a 1 inch wood rib and shoot that for 15 Month until I used a laser bore sight and fount out That I needed to add an addition 3/8 inch to the front end to bring my POI down because I shoot at the target peak height range. (Now I have shot two 98 out of out of my last 4 shooting events)
    <br>This needs to be done just before nightfall or in a good shaded area and you will need help to see the lased dot.<br>
    If you have to lower your POI you need a rib that is higher in the front and lower in the back.<br>

Vicky was correct and suggested balsa wood if you can not find any close buy have a local carpenter cut you something and use black primer to paint it.

9. ROB B

ROB B TS Member

Hi;
    Go for a PFS and Adjustible Rib DO it ALL !!!!

ROB

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rob- On my gun I have a PFS, an adjustable rib with an add on rib on top of it. My rib does not move when it is "adjusted". It does bend the barrel up or down.

Pat Ireland

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Pat,

You must be shooting a Krieghoff!

ec90t

12. Rollin Oswald

mike31z;

Be aware that many shooters as they gain experience, tend to shoot targets closer to the house as time goes on. This reduces the effects on wind-blown targets, especially when shooting with head and tail winds.

ROB B;

PFS stocks are outstanding, well designed and well made stocks, ingenious, even. Making dimensional changes is thoroughly discussed in the instructions as is recoil-absorption mechanism and its adjustments.

The one thing that is conspicuous by its absence however, is the lack of fitting instructions, i.e. how to adjust the stocks to fit the various sizes and shapes we shooters come in. I have sold a number of books to PFS owners who wanted to adjust their stocks to fit them and enjoy ALL the benefits of these fine stocks.

Pat Ireland;

I have wondered for some time and will finally ask: How can the vertical POI of one barrel be changed without its affecting the POI of the other barrel?

Mike/brownk80;

The book could not have been written 20 years ago, at least with its current detail. I don't believe sporting clays existed then and the shooting forms used for trap and skeet were still in a state of flux. They stabilized only about 10 years ago.

About the only change that has been made recently is the use of longer barrels, which has little effect on shooting form. As you know from reading the book, shooting form has a significant effect on stock dimensions. That does not necessarily mean that trap and skeet shooting forms have evolved as much as they can or will, however, just that they have not changed very much recently.

Rollin

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rollin- I can with absolute certainty answer how on my K-80, the POI can be changed on one barrel without affecting the POI of the other barrels. When I turn the adjustment screw on the single barrel, the double barrels are in my gun case.

I think your book is probably more useful to shooters who shoot a PFS than it is to other shooters. I took your book to th club, read a little and made some changes. Then walked to the line and shot. Then back to reading a little more, some changes and more shooting. It can be done in a couple of hours.

Someday I need to buy a new copy, mine is a "first edition" and is a little disorganized.

Pat Ireland

14. Harold

Harold TS Member

Rollin,

The joke you were trying to remember was about the agnostic, dyslexic insomniac.

He stayed up all night wondering if there is a dog.

15. Rollin Oswald

Pat Ireland[

Please send me an email message. I have a question for you.

No, No, not the other "barrels", the other "barrel" of the 2 (two) over/under barrels, i.e. plural, indicating more than 1 (one). Doesn't that clear things "up" versis clear things "out", indicating their removel from an original position?

Harold;

Yes, that's it. Thank you.

Rollin

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rollin- The double barrels of the K-80 are "adjusted" by changing the hangers. I have been told, but do not necessarily accept the following explanation. Increasing the height of the front hanger will raise the top barrel POI and lower the POI of the bottom barrel. Changing the middle hanger will bend the bottom barrel down in the middle but not at the end of the barrel. This will move the angle that the shot leaves the bottom barrel and elevate the POI. If you push the middle of a wood dowel down, the end of the dowel will point a little upward.

Again, all I am doing is passing along an explanation given to me. I have no idea if the information is correct. My double barrels are working reasonably well now and I have no intention in attempting to verify this explanation.

Pat Ireland

17. Rollin Oswald

Pat;

That makes sense. It is the stiffness of the rib that I had not considered.

What do you want to bet that increasing the height of the front hanger lowers the POI of the bottom more than it raises the POI of the top barrel?

Thank you, Pat.

Rollin

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rollin- OK I will bet with you. Simply based on logic and assuming both barrels are equally flexible, the upward pressure should equal the down pressure and the POI of both barrels should move, in opposite directions, equally. I am thinking about a bet of one Diet Coke.

Pat Ireland

19. Rollin Oswald

You're on, Pat!

Consider this: The height of the hanger is increased 0.0822". This puts equal pressure on both the top and bottom barrels. By my calculations, the top barrel moves upward 0.0388" and the bottom barrel moves downward 0.0434".

The difference in bending distances is due to the rib on the top barrel. It adds significant additional resistance to bending by making the barrel stiffer, an effect similiar to that of an "I" beam.

The bottom barrel bends farther because the forend mechanism provides a reduced barrel-stiffening effect. Additionally, the forend is shorter than the rib and at a point where the barrel is stiffer anyway due to its greater wall thickness.

So there! Whadoya say to that? Figures don't lie.

Rollin

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rollin, I totally forgot about the rib on the top barrel. You could have given me a hint before we consummated the wager, but you didn't and I lost again. I owe you one Diet Coke.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.