1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

add gloss to a gloss stock?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by daydreamer1, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daydreamer1

daydreamer1 TS Member

i have a k 80 stock.{not factory, might be a fajin not sure.} it has beautiful wood stain and grain.it is finished in a gloss finish and is still nice but the gloss is showing it's age. my guestion is can a gloss coating be applied over the existing gloss without striping the stock? i do not want to do anything but regloss stock.there are very minor scratches and nicks in the gloss coat but not through the gloss finish. any stock finishers that could do this and would the cost be as much as a compleat stock refinish ?

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

A nice soft buffing wheel and some Mequires mirror glaze will make it so bright it will blind you...be careful though you don't burn through

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have applied a clear coat over existing factory K-80 finished. It does make them very shiny. But, the high gloss finish will exaggerate any flaws that exist in the original finish.

If you are just trying to please yourself, the simplest way is to put a hard wax over the finish. This only takes a few minutes and will last for a few shoots. You might also combine the wax job on your stock with a good wax job on your car. Then you could drive a shiny car to a shoot and take out a shiny gun and shoot.

Pat Ireland

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I would have to see the stock but spraying clear over the existing finish could be done. Every scratch would have to be sanded out with 1000 grit and the checkering re taped. If there are any dents or scratches through the finish it will show.

For me it would be about a 3-4 hour job + materials. Figure $25 per hour + 35 materials.

A complete refinish would cost around $300. I use a Clearcoat similar to Imeron
    and the stuff is tough as nails but it costs around $400.00 per gallon to spray.

You could try sanding with 2500 wet/dry and buffing but if you burn through the finish it's ruined.

Joe

5. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I think when he said it's showing it's age the point is made.To buff or polish a finish that is worn thin by age already would be a disaster ! To do it right would be to re finish but he just wants to apply clear coat to keep the shine. At least thats my take on his post.
    I think gun fitter has it right. Just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to add gloss to a gun stock