1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Add A Rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Sep 15, 2013.

1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

anyone out there that would bolt a add a rib on a barrel for me?cost?

2. Hank55

Hank55 Member

Why would you want to "bolt" it on. The "Add-a-Ribs" use 3M tape to install over your old rib and it does hold and hold well. It's also easy to remove the rib by using nylon fishing line threaded between the two ribs to cut the tape. I don't believe I would ever permanently bolt one on?

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

What do you hope to achieve with an add-on rib?

Rollin

4. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Rollin,i shot a Perazzi 2000 at the grand and loved it but was 7m short of buying it.it seamed to make me keep my head up and i was looking straight down the rib.as far as tape i did that but it came off and cut my face and put a large scratch on my lens.now its always in the back of my mind that it is going to come off.so its either bolt,screws or it stays on top of the gun cabinet.

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I understand your question--Who can do the job? I don't know, but there is somebody out there that can and will. AND I respect your wish. It's your gun and your money. If you want it bolted then that is all that matters.

Now, I have had an experience with an Add On that a friend bought. It IMMEDIATELY CAME OFF! I called the Add On people and they were very nice. They gave me a few ideas and sent more tape and said if I had any more problems, send it back. I discovered that when the "relief" hole was drilled to allow the mid bead to go into the new rib, It was not drilled deep enough and the rib did not sit completely on the factory rib. You could not see it but it was there. I also found out that when the instructions say USE LIGHTER FLUID to clean the rib that is EXACTLY what it means. DO NOT try anything else. We did these things and the rib is as solid as a rock. Two years, lots of shooting, even in 120 degree heat in the car and 100 plus on the field.

Hope you find somebody.
    Jim

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Tracy, how did you clean the surface before you mounted the rib? It sounds like the surface was not clean enough before you applied it.

What is 7m short?

Bryan

7. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

$7,000.lighter fluid.

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

OH...$7k

9. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I have had Dave Berlet install ribs on three different guns for me. First of all, he custom makes every for that gun. He installs everyone with a double sided tape. I have never had one come off. The one on my Ljutic has been there for at least 10 years. I just had him make one for an Alfermann for me. He makes them out of delrin. I have a post out on this site that has some pictures of the new one he made me last month. Fantastic work, fast turnaround. Dave can make any gun shoot where you want it with one of his ribs. Dave is located in New Knoxville, Ohio - 419-753-2557. You will not be disappointed.

10. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I have installed six add on ribs from Add-A-Rib, one of this sites sponsors, and it would take an act of congress to remove them!! The two sided tape supplied with the ribs is superb.

However, if you are looking for a mechanical lock up, they also supply that need with their Adjust-A-Rib line.

Best of both worlds at a very attractive price!

11. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

Big papa- what does dave charge to do these?

12. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I am not sure, I think the price varies depending on the amount of labor it takes to make it. He custom makes every one after he gets the barrel. No one size fits all. Depends on what you want done, ie. do you want to change the POI, or are you just wanting a taller rib. It is best to just give him a call and talk with him. He will give you a price. It does not cost to give him a call. 419-753-2557. I have used his ribs for many years. I have never had one come off. Very high quality and good looking.

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Dont Bolt it use Black RTV silicone I used it on my BT99, been on over a year and I dont hesitate to pick my gun up by the rib.
    [​IMG]

And its easily removed. I did drill and tap this gun messed it up for resale I am gunna have the gun for ever,

Jerry Lewis

14. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Jerry, that is why i am going to have it bolted on.i am 76 and when this gun is sold im not going to care.tape,glue they all may work but i know for sure if i have it bolted on i am not going to get hit in the face again.
    tracy

15. BENCHREST

BENCHREST Member Supporting Vendor

Bolt an addarib or any other rib on a gun? Well Tracy its your gun, if you want to make holes in your rib so do it. What about vibration or noise? I have sold over 2 thousand ribs worldwide and haven't experienced one problem. I feel if the tape is used worldwide in the automotive industry, it is strong enough to hold a 3 oz rib on a gun. Just ask drbombay he shoots at least 4 times a week. Jerry good to hear from you, good luck with your business. Yes Rollin, some people do achieve better scores when their head is in a comfortable position. Thank you Joe 631 319 6959