1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ADD-A-RIB

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jake boy, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jake boy

jake boy Member

Would like some info thinking of trying adj rib if you have one let me know what you think.

Thanks Robert.

2. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

If your looking to just raise the rib.. it's fine..

If you want it so that you can adjust it.. then forget it!! Just one more thing to mess with and get your mind away from thinking about and seeing the target. You can adjust your point of impact with the comb..

Now this is just my "personal" opinion.. I'm sure some here will differ

3. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Like fish lures, for fishermen not fish.

4. todman2

todman2 Member

Had Keen Sights add an adjustable rib to my Krieghoff. Turned out perfect and only cost $600 for everything. Down side is it added some more weight to the barrels. I am a big guy and was fine with it but alot of people who picked up the gun complained about the weight. The great thing with this setup is I can take the rib off and sell it on this site as it seems when they are offered here they sell quickly.

It a good way to go without spending a lot of money to determine if you can or want to shoot a higher rib

5. Idahobill

Idahobill Member

Put an add a rib on my Bt 99 and love it. Always had a tendency to lift my head now with the taller rib that is no longer a problem. Added 3/8 of an inch but they will make anything you want. Before I got the rib I made a wooden rib that I put on with double faced tape to figure out the height that I wanted good luck Bill

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

You didn't mention the purpose of adding a rib, is it to rotate your head to more upright for better target acquisition, to raise your poi or both.

It's interesting how some people are opposed to adding features allowing the shooter to fine tune their gun. There was a time not so long ago when the addition of an adjustable comb was considered unnecessary and was just a gimmick to make money for gunsmiths. The fact is, every gun should have an adjustable comb to accommodate the changes our bodies and faces experience over time. Adding an adjustable comb is just the first step down the road to fine tune your gun.

Raising the comb alone will raise the poi causing a gap between beads in the process. Many shooters are not bothered by the bead gap while others are bothered to the extent they can't hit anything. Therefore, just raising the comb serves no purpose for some shooters. A low cost remedy to solving the gap problem is adding a bump, which is nothing more than raising the center bead closing the gap.

Adding an add on rib especially an adjustable one will allow you to fine tune your gun even further while closing the bead gap in the process.

The first step to adding a rib is make a mockup out of balsa wood or some other light material and tape it to your gun. Raise and lower your mockup until you find the most comfortable height for you and then place your order.

The best value for an adjustable rib at this time seems to be ADD-A-RIB

Surfer

7. jake boy

jake boy Member

Thanks guys Trying to keep head more upright.

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I saw theirs and made mine 1 5/8 high it got my head up and was more comfortable,took no time to get used to it. Add a rib also makes a adjustable rib now as well(something I was thinking about a year ago). If you can afford it go for it,BUT use black RTV perma gasket to attach it then it wont fall off, the tape they give you doesnt last.
    I am thinking of getting 1 of thiers for my nice gun. I made the 1 for my project gun, it looks ok for the project but on my nice gun I want it to look right.
    Jerry Lewis

9. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Ok, everybody post ur yardage and average, and a picture of you gun.

We will see who is right.

Barry Kemper.

10. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

27 , 92 to 94 average in hcp.

I'm qualified to give advice.

Barry Kemper