1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Add-A-Rib & Stock Positioning Report *Final*

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Timeline...
    Placed my order for add-a-rib and mailed my stock on about May 27. There was that long holiday weekend in there. Today is June 6. I installed the rib LAST WEEK and put the stock back on this afternoon.
    Total working days...Chicago-New York-Chicago...about 5.

Does it get any better? Yes. All the parts work exactly as described at the prices I was quoted. I only have one question and I expect Ray Braun will respond promptly. I sent an email about 20 minutes ago and I'm going home in less than 10. Tomorrow if good enough.

Larry

2. GrandpasArms

Here are a few pictures of my new add-a-rib and stock adjuster (Jim Olivant). I'll be shooting it tomorrow (Wednesday, June 8) and that will be the real test. You can see how nice the rib fits. That gray space between the original rib and the add-a-rib isn't really gray. It is black and NOT noticeable. The flash on my camera seems to have made it look lighter.

The stock work is beautiful. I had already shaved a little off the left side and applied a simple oil finish. Jim didn't disrupt anything. He added a wood rod inside the stock so the bed surface would be solid.

I've included two pictures of myself - one BEFORE the changes and one AFTER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the first time I've used Photobucket, so I'm hoping this all works as planned.

Larry

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Just an observation. I see you get your hair styled at the same place I get mine styled.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

nice shirt

5. GrandpasArms

I'll be patterning and shooting the new setup this weekend. I'll report my scores - if they don't embarrass me too much. I moved both the rib and the comb up 3/4 inch. So far I'm pleased with the feel of the modified gun. The rib is light, but I notice more heft and swing when dry firing. My main objective was to get my head up and eyes horizontal. That seems to have been accomplished. Step two is breaking more clays.

6. GrandpasArms

I spent Saturday morning patterning the improved BT99. My POI is the same as before the modifications - in the 60-40 to 70-30 range. I noticed a slight left (under 4 inches) POI at 40 yards. I looked again at some older patterns and the same thing was evident on them. In the past I drew a circle and a center point. this time I used crosses and aimed at the center. The slight left shift is more obvious on that kind of grid.

I must note that I would do a more accurate job if I had used a bench rest and aimed carefully. That is a good way to pattern the gun itself. As I was interested in how I shoot the gun, I merely paced off my yardage, aimed, and fired. I shot 5 shells into each target to get a better picture of my shooting.

Now, for the final proof - for me at l;east. I shot one squad of trap on Sunday. Missed the first two, and finished with a 21. I'd say that all is well with the changes. It is far more comfortable. The felt recoil is nil. The additional weight seems to help in the swing. The rib looks good and I think its solid enough to stand up to many traps squads. That is yet to be determined.

Regarding the stock, Jim Olivant did a beautiful job. I received taller posts and he sent 3/4 inch SS sleeves to replace the stack of washers. Looks very clean and professional. I still have washers of various thicknesses that I can add if I want to change that vertical POI. According to the Rollin Oswald (Stockfitters Bible - a must read, along with Dr. AC Jones' book), adding 1/8 inch at the comb will move the vertical POI up about 4 1/2 inches at 40 yards.

Total cost for the rib, stock build, hardware, and postage was $364. My time installing the rib was about 20 minutes. Add that to what I paid for my used BT99 and I'm a hair under $1,000 for a very nice trap gun, 34 inches with fixed full choke.

Larry

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Add-A-Rib & Stock Positioning Report **PICS ADDED*

Nice job Larry. Hope it works out for you where it really counts, the Trap field.

8. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

You can move the POI to the right by simply moving the comb slightly to the right. Exact amout of movement will have to be determined by testing at the pattern board. 4 inches to the left is not really much, but if you want to cener the POI, moving the comb will do it.

Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.