1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Add-A-Rib Project (picture heavy warning)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by docbombay, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

Add-A-Rib Project

Some may recall a recent thread regarding Stock Positioning Systems, a company out of New York. In that thread I somewhat called Jimmy C to task (good naturedly) and mentioned I would give this company a try and see how they performed. Below is a summery of my Rib Project.

I called the company on a Monday morning and spoke to Ray Braun. I spent about half an hour on the phone with him determining the specifics regarding the Rib I wanted to add to my KS-5 Special. We determined style, length, height and placement of center bead. He was very knowledgeable and was able to discuss the features and benefits of his products. He stated he had several CNC machines and would produce my Rib that very day and ship it by the end of the day. As I would also need to increase the height of my comb by the same height of the ordered Rib I machined two new posts ¾ in. longer then the stock posts that afternoon.

I received the Rib on Wednesday and I was surprised the shipping from New York to Ohio was that fast. Below is a picture of how the Rib was received. The rib came with specific instructions and a couple of alcohol wipes to use on the original rib prior to attaching the Add-A-Rib. Pre-fitting the rib showed the rib to be the exact dimensions agreed upon when the order was placed and the ramp decline matched the original rib very well and I thought the aesthetics of the rib would be acceptable.

I cleaned the original rib with the alcohol wipes per instructions and secured the new rib onto the top of the original adjustable rib. I clamped the new rib in several places and set it aside to sit for twenty-four hours to give the adhesive strip time to set.

The following day I placed a Meadow Industries Brite Sight on the new rib and installed the new posts on the Krieghoff stock. The original hex bolts used to affix the posts were not sufficiently long enough (my fault as I didn't machine the depth of the inside diameter deep enough) so I replaced the originals with hex head bolts I had in stock. I also had to grind the nuts in order to place them in the slots in the original post positioning plates. Minor inconvenience but this added work would not have been necessary had I paid more attention when I machined the original posts.

Below is a picture of the semi-finished project. I am still trying to decide what type of spacers I will use over the posts to better support the comb as well as spiff it up a bit and make it look a little more professional. I may just go the usual "white plastic washer" route or get a little more creative and machine some stainless stock to the desired height I need. I didn't want to hold up this report until I made that decision as I promised Jimmy I would do this project in the other thread.

Summery

This is a very simple project and anyone with any skills what-so-ever can easily install an Add-A-Rib without any problems. Dependent upon how high a rib you want you will however need to address the task of comb adjustment. The company I ordered this from (Stock Positioning Systems) has a comb adjustment kit for forty bucks with every conceivable height you may want so that would eliminate the need to manufacture posts if you do not have that capability. My Krieghoff has a very specific post configuration with two appendages incorporated on the bottom that fit inside the adjustment plate slots and I wanted to duplicate this feature with my new posts so I did not go the universal route and machined my new ones to match the original equipment. One would not need to do this and could easily get by with the adjustment kit offered by the company without any problems, but I wanted to make my own.

Guys, this was about as simple as it gets. And it was really cheap to do. With shipping, the mid bead installed at the factory, and the rib the total cost was right at $160.00. If you need the comb adjustment kit it will kick up that price and put you right at two hundred bucks. The aluminum quality was very good and the machining was superb on the rib. If I had to do it over again I would have drilled and tapped the rib and installed my own mid bead to save that twenty bucks.

I have nothing but good things to say about this experience. Stock Positioning Company provided a very good product at a fabulous price and the customer service was superb. Let me also repeat what I said in the other thread. I have no connection with this company what-so-ever other then being a customer. If this project had been a bust I would have said so.

I know there are other great rib manufacturer's out there and they are American Companies employing American workers. I wish all of them nothing but the utmost of success.

I also wish Stock Positioning Company a long life and lots of success.

Happy Easter everyone.

Doc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. macaw8

macaw8 TS Member

doc hi
    do you khow weight off the add on rib thanks gary

3. docbombay

Gary, I did not weigh the rib. Before the installation I affixed the rib with three rubber bands and checked to see if the balance point of the KS would change much with the addition of the new rib . The change was insignificant. I was actually hoping that it was going to change more then it did as I wanted to move the balance point forward on the Krieghoff. I tend to get a little fast on the hard angle shots and the perceived feel of the additional weight forward slows me down somewhat on my swing.

I am sure the manufacturer can answer your question if you contact them.

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Doc, I noticed that the angle of the reliefs in the rib are angled in the opposite direction as your factory rib. Was this done on purpose?

Bryan

5. xxstr8jacketxx

xxstr8jacketxx TS Member

Did it change your POI I was thinking on adding one to a TMX to raise the POI

6. docbombay

Bryan I selected that particular style from Add-A-Rib's website. They have various configurations and break down the style by gun type, ie. manufacturer.

Even though they are broken down by gun type I reviewed all the styles as any style you like will work, in other words you could put the Blaser rib on a Krieghoff and vice versa and any other combo you think looks good. I knew the new reliefs would not match the exact location of the original Krieghoff reliefs so I picked one that would give a funky arrow or chevron look.

There is no structural or engineered aspect for strength or heat dissipation associated with the design I chose. It was strictly cosmetic.

7. docbombay

Straightjacket, I ran a laser in the barrel and it is about identical on my wall chart with the new rib added. I do not believe my POI will have changed much. As my KS-5 has the adjustable rib I am capable of adjusting my POI with the new rib added just as I was before.

I put this additional rib on my gun in order to raise my head more and hopefully improve my sight picture and see the targets not only quicker, but more clearly.

If you put an additional rib on a non-ajustable existing rib and also do not have an ajustable comb, all bets are off with your POI. I will let others here more knowledgeable then me answer that circumstance.

8. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Looks good Doc. I know the new rib is not tapered (front to back) like the k guns orig rib. This concerned me but I'm not sure anyone will notice it. What do you think, Is it at all noticeable? Do you like the way it shoots? Thanks for posting the pics.
    Jimmy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.